Students resort to cheating to deal with stress

Copying, plagiarizing, forging.

No matter what word is used to describe it, cheating is cheating.

According to a recent survey published in Harvard’s student newspaper, The Crimson, 42 percent of Harvard students admitted to cheating on an assignment while attending the school.

While there is no exact data regarding how prevalent cheating is at South Lakes, a study conducted by Stanford University reports that 73 percent of high school students cheat at some point during their high school career. The report also stated that these high numbers are “due to pressure for high grades.”

The Stanford report also states that over-stressed students have been shown to try and take the easy route out: cheating.

“A lack of time, so students will feel pressured or rushed, often results in students resorting to cheating,” honor code committee chairperson and assistant principal Chad Lehman said. “I think the academic pressure to do well for colleges can also be a factor. I think overall stress plays a big role in it.”

Although he SR&R book clearly outlines consequences for cheating, Lehman still sees cheating as an issue.

“I think it’s happening enough to be a concern,” Lehman said. “I don’t think we necessarily have more cheating than other schools. It’s something that a lot of schools are talking about. I don’t think we’re outside the norm, but I do think it’s happening enough.”

Sophomore Etienne Dailly, a student on the honor roll committee, feels that stress is a cause of cheating.

“I can agree with Mr. Lehman,” Dailly said. “It’s not every case, but stress plays a huge role in it [cheating]. There are IB students who cheat to do well simply because of all the stress of their classes.”

A senior who wishes to remain anonymous shares Dailly’s sentiment.

“I cheat because I feel stressed about my workload. Students only cheat because they feel like they have to. Teachers never really understand, but students have a lot going on besides their schoolwork. Stress just keeps accumulating, and cheating just helps us get through it.”