Arrest in the Tupac Shakur Murder Case

Image Credits: Tupac Shakur in 1995 H/T (Perry C. Riddle / Los Angeles Times)

Tupac Amaru Shakur (2Pac), is an iconic, prominent, and distinguished figure in 90s rap culture. It is without a doubt that he’s made a name for himself and had his own unique style of music. Moreover, the rapper’s best-selling song is ‘California Love’ which profited $4,800,000 USD and he collaborated with Dr. Dre. This was released as a Double-A Side Single with How Do U Want It and All Eyez on Me. ‘California Love’ was Tupac’s first single operating with Death Row Records after his release from prison in 1995. The artist was born on June 16th, 1971, in East Harlem, Upper Manhattan, New York City. A year later, Alice Faye Williams chose to rename her son Lesane Parish Crooks to his current name. His fame resurged when he was animated as a hologram at the 2012 Coachella Festival performing with Snoop and Dre. Unfortunately, the rapper died young, and his case remains controversial, in spite of that, his legacy lives on forever timelessly.

The Chronology of Tupac’s Murder, from Start to Finish:

SEPTEMBER 7TH, 1996  — Shakur attends Mike Tyson’s boxing match against Bruce Seldon and is accompanied by Suge Knight, CEO of Death Row Records. Tyson succeeded Seldon as the WBA Heavyweight Champion by the first round’s finish inside the MGM Grand located in Vegas. The match’s official time was recorded as 1:49, hours after the fight concluded, Tupac was brutally gunned down.

8:50 P.M. (PDT) – In the building, an altercation arose while Tupac, Knight, and their entourage encountered the South Side Compton Crips. Las Vegas Police state this fight broke out because of Suge Knight’s Blood-affiliation as a contender to the Crips. A surveillance video was shot and showed Tupac and Knight kicking and stomping Orlando Anderson in the MGM Grand Lobby. The men left the area approximately after 9:00 P.M. They’d go to Suge Knight’s House and attempt to make it to Club 662, but unfortunately never made it.

11:15 P.M. (PDT) – Shakur sat as passenger inside of Knight’s black BMW near the Las Vegas Strip prior to his death. The black BMW stopped and a white Cadillac approached with a gun loaded in the right-traffic lane. An arm came out the Cadillac’s back-window and opened fire; lethally shooting Shakur four times. Two of these bullets directly impacted his chest, one in his arm, and thigh. Although, Suge was grazed by these bullet rounds to the head. Typically, Tupac always wore a bulletproof vest, however, this time he didn’t, choosing not to.

A never-seen before photo of the 1996 BMW 750iL via 8NewsNow

Paramedics arrived at the scene, Tupac and S. Knight were brought to the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada. Shakur was taken to the Emergency Room (ER) and felt like he was dying. The rapper was heavily sedated and sent into a 6-day medically-induced coma.

September 8th, 1996 — Suge Knight was released from the hospital, and said: “[He] heard something, but saw nothing.” Suge speaks of the shooting on September 11th; breaking the silence.

September 13th, 1996 — Gobi M. Rahimi and Outlawz (Shakur’s Hip-Hop Group) kept an eye on him in his critical condition. Rahimi mentioned Outlawz even brought weapons with them to defend Makaveli. Inside the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Shakur’s respiratory failure led to cardiac arrest once his right lung was removed. Hemorrhaging did not cease there, and Afeni Shakur, Tupac’s mother, terminated his medical treatment as doctors attempted to revive him.

4:03 P.M. (PDT) – The legendary 25-year-old rapper, Tupac Amaru Shakur, is officially pronounced dead.

1997 — Following the shooting, Sergeant Kevin Manning, told Las Vegas Sun’s Investigative Reporter, Cathleen Scott, “[This murder] may never be solved.” When the case first erupted, it was slow due to the convoluted information. Sergeant Manning stated the investigation halted in search of information.

2014 — A now-retired Las Vegas Police Department Sergeant, Chris Carroll, claimed to be an active eyewitness to the case. When Sergeant Carroll opened the car door, he asked the rapper who shot him, and Tupac Shakur’s last words were: “^@%! YOU.” The officer saw the Juice actor descend into unconsciousness from his wounds.

SEPTEMBER 29TH, 2023: TUPAC’S SLAYER IS ARRESTED IN LAS VEGAS — Authorities raid Duane ‘Keefe D’ Davis’ House and found evidence linked to Tupac’s slaying. Law Enforcement confiscated his electronics, hard drive, his 2Pac Magazine, .40 caliber bullets, photographs, and published memoir, ‘Compton Street Legend.’ In his memoir and past interviews, Duane confesses himself as a first-hand witness to Shakur’s killing. He attests to having slid a gun located inside of the back seat, and him having ignited those fatal blows. Inside of the Cadillac, he sat as a front-passenger, and Orlando, his nephew, was one of the two people sitting. Orlando Anderson denied firing at 2Pac. Anderson died two years after the rapper was killed, and he was one of the prime suspects for this investigation.

Retired Los Angeles Detective, Greg Kading, stated: “All other direct conspirators or [accomplices] are all dead. [Davis] is the last man standing among [these subjects] that conspired to kill Tupac.” Keefe D. was convinced and said, “Cops can’t do $#!%,” affirmed that he’d never be caught. In his book, he wrote: “One of my guys from the back seat grabbed the Glock and started bustin’ back. As the rounds continued flying, I ducked down so that I wouldn’t get hit.”

Duane Keith Davis’ Mugshot revealed via GettyImages

Keefe D. Davis was indicted on one count of open murder with the use of a deadly weapon. Davis appeared in court on Wednesday, October 4th, his own words led to his arrest. A proffer agreement was made, which a suspect provides useful information, however, these statements cannot be used against the subject. He also participated in a homicide documentary which spoke of the case. Suge Knight said he will not testify against Keefe Davis, saying the shooter is “not who cops think it is.”

This case has finally been brought to justice after 27 years, and many have mourned the loss of Tupac Shakur. On October 2nd, the exhibits included Davis and other gang members, essentially, he snitched on himself. Additionally, Tupac’s Death Certificate, images from his autopsy, crime scene photos, the vehicle, and pictures inside of Keefe Davis’ book. All of these items were displayed in the court exhibition to viewers.

The rapper’s sister, Sekyiwa Shakur, called his indictment a “pivotal moment [and will] reserve judgment until all the facts and legal proceedings are complete. [Our family is] seeking real justice, on all fronts.” Mopreme Shakur, his older brother, said: “Keep your popcorn, we’re still waiting for things to unfold. The universe is working. Pac is still here.”