Shakira faced against the Spanish Court

Primary Thumbnail: Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll

Columbian pop singer, Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, is in the public spotlight, not for her music, but her criminal trial. She was accused of tax evasion by the Spanish government in 2018, and in July 2021, the state’s inquiry ended. Her defense team filed an appeal to halt the trial which was defeated. Chosen under the discretion of Spanish Judge, Marco Juberas. In Spring 2023, the Court of Spain rejected her appeal once more and was affirmed by the judge. 

She is faced with incriminating charges, accusing her of defrauding the country of €14,500,000 in taxes between 2012—2014.  Additionally, the Columbian singer neglected to pay €6,700,000 in 2018.  Six financial offenses were brought against her by three distinct government entities. The core of the debate is whether Shakira lived in Spain during that time— or spent more than 183 days. If she overstayed those days residing in Spain, then it’d qualify her as a Spanish resident for taxing.

The prosecution’s case relies upon files kept by the office, which document her visits to salons, hairdressers, and a clinic. In an interview she had with Elle Magazine, she revealed she refused to settle with authorities and established her argument. Shakira attested she was not a national resident during the three-year period, however, resided in the Bahamas. If the singer is proven guilty by all courts, she could face up to eight-years and two-months in prison. Along with that, she’d be fined €23,700,000 and prosecutors claim that these alleged offenses are particularly serious. The artist allegedly utilized corporations through tax havens in order to conceal her income.

The prosecution against Shakira is part of a bigger push by Spanish authorities to crack down on tax-cheating. The verdict of this case may have far-reaching consequences for other celebrities residing in Spain. As the trial unfolds, it will be provocatively enthralling to witness how Shakira’s defense responds to these severe claims. The filing, according to the court, failed to show her domicile in another country for monetary reasons. This verdict was affirmed in July 2021 by Spanish Judge, Marco Juberas, who ruled that his three-year inquiry proved evidence. Her public relations staff reported that she paid the sum owed after she was notified by Spain’s tax agency. Shakira’s legal team intends to continue arguing her innocence, in spite of the contrary evidence.

Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll’s Accomplishments:

• 480 awards won from 945 nominations throughout her career
  • Attained MTV’s 2023 Michael Jackson Vanguard Award
  • 41 Billboard Latin Awards
  • Broke 14 Guinness World Records
  • 12 Latin Grammy Awards
  • 7 Billboard Music Awards
  • 6 Latin-American Music Awards
  • 3 Grammy Awards
  • Founder of the Barefoot Foundation, an organization dedicated to helping impoverished and underprivileged Columbian children.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Shakira (@shakira)

Shakira, the Colombian-born worldwide music diva, possesses a projected net worth of $300,000,000 USD as of 2023. This includes her earnings from her singing career, business activities, endorsements, and real estate interests. She has sold over $125,000,000 USD in albums and singles throughout the world. She attained success in the English and Spanish-language markets becoming prominent by the early 2000s. In consequence, making her one of the most popular worldwide Latina vocalists of all-time.

Shakira’s legal team reported last week that she had not been notified of the new lawsuit in Miami, where she is now located. The Latina artist is scheduled to stand trial in Barcelona on Monday, November 20th, 2023.  Furthermore, she failed to register her profit of $19,300,000 USD obtained from her El Dorado World Tour. She will be attending her trial in-person, and 200 witnesses are called to testify. This trial is expected to last from November to December, and it’s fated to be a media circus.