Rangers pull away early without Garcia, pull into striking distance of first World Series title

The Texas Rangers are one win away from baseball immortality.
(Image via @MLB on X)

By the end of the third inning of Tuesdays’ game five, Texas had put up 10 on the scoreboard. While the Diamondbacks scored six in the 8th and 9th, the Rangers had done too much damage. Even without standout outfielder Adolis Garcia, the Rangers offense stayed just as unstoppable as before this October. Second baseman Marcus Semien led the Rangers rally with five RBI, with a two out, two run triple in the 2nd and then a three run homer the following inning. Shortstop Corey Seager and Catcher Jonah Heim also hit home runs in the Rangers 11-7 victory. 

Pregame, Rangers manager Bruce Bochy gave updates to the rising superstar Garcia and future Hall of Famer Max Scherzer. Garcia strained his right oblique in the 8th inning of Mondays’ game four, which Bochy has described as a “moderate” strain. Shortly after the interview, the Rangers took Garcia off of the World Series roster in favor of utility man Ezequiel Duran. 

On the other hand, Scherzer left Mondays’ game after three shutout innings due to back spasms. This isn’t the first time Scherzer has had back spasms during the fall classic: Scherzer was scratched for the Nationals in Game five of the 2019 World Series versus the Astros. He came back and started Game seven where the Nationals won it all. Like Garcia, sadly, Scherzer was taken off of the World Series roster and replaced by southpaw Brock Burck. Bochy explained that Scherzers’ back was “still locked up,” and that he was “uncertain” whether or not he would return. 

Tonight, the Rangers attempt to extend their historic winning streak, as they have now won 10 straight away games in the postseason. They are one win away from winning their first world series in franchise history. On the other side, the D-Backs look to play spoiler and bring the series back to the Lone Star state for a game six Friday night.