House explosion rocks quiet Arlington neighborhood

Image via New York Times

A house in a quiet Arlington neighborhood suddenly exploded on Monday, December 4th, around 8:30 p.m. Earlier that afternoon, police had received calls from nearby residents complaining about a flare gun being shot into the air. 

Police arrived at the house around 8:30 p.m. after being granted a search warrant, and after giving numerous verbal warnings that they were about to break in, police reported shots being fired in the house. Moments later, the house suddenly exploded in a large fireball. 

A nearby neighbor captured the explosion from his home, which shows police shining bright lights at the entrance of the house and giving verbal warnings. Mere moments before they were going to approach the house on foot, a large explosion leveled the home. Flaming debris was seen falling all over the neighborhood. The explosion was reported to have been heard for miles, and pictures of the smoke were taken from all across the Arlington area. 

As of the writing of this article, Arlington County Police are still investigating the explosion. It has not been reported that any cops have been critically injured, which was a concern since they were so close to the explosion. 

The man inside the home according to public records, James Yoo, has claimed that he was being “hunted” by the government and has made numerous other extreme statements on his public LinkedIn and YouTube pages. Despite the activity on his social media accounts, Arlington County Police stated that James Yoo is presumed to be dead.

Questions are being asked as to whether or not the house was rigged to explode. Over the past few years, house explosions have often been linked to gas leaks. As of December 5th, Arlington County Police haven’t stated that is the case and will continue to investigate and determine the cause of the explosion.