School free snow days return to FCPS

Image via Farmers Almanac
Image via Farmers Almanac

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) announced that it will no longer require students to participate in virtual classes on days school is closed due to inclement weather. This change marks the first time students will get snow days completely off since COVID-19 forced the school system to experiment with online classes. 

The 2023 to 2024 calendar already accounts for 11 snow days, none of which will include virtual learning. Previously, the policy required online learning after six days of inclement weather. 

The FCPS website noted that “this adjustment aims to maximize in-person learning and to ensure equitable access to instruction and student services for all students.”

In the event of a snow day, students will still have access to educational resources. These resources include but are not limited to Tutor.com and educational public access TV channels. Teachers will also be able to post supplemental work on Schoology. 

Superintendent Dr. Michelle C. Reid encourages FCPS students “to embrace the diverse learning spaces that abound during inclement weather.” 

She also wants the community to be involved with students’ education. This can be done by submitting ideas relating to discovery and learning to WinterDiscovery@fcps.edu. FCPS will use these ideas as a valuable resource to support families. 

While the mandated virtual school policy was in place for two years, it was not necessary due to low snowfall in the county. This year may prove to be different, with experts and local TV forecasters predicting that the area will receive more snow than it has seen in several years. 

Uncertainty still remains about the number of snow days that will be needed this winter, but if predictions prove to be true, students may get a chance to enjoy some winter weather.