BLACKPINK’s Contract Renewal

Image via BLACKPINK’s Interview with Billboard 2023

Titled to be the “biggest girl group in the world” and owned by YG Entertainment, Korea’s successful K-Pop Girl Group BLACKPINK: Lalisa Manobal (Lisa), Jennie Kim (Jennie), Roseanne Park (Rosé) and Kim Ji-soo (Jisoo) renewed their contract with YG Entertainment and fans are eager for what’s to come. The group has been active for over seven years and has gained fans worldwide for their K-Pop, Hip-Hop and Trap music, touring internationally. Their first hit song was ‘Whistle’ back on August 8th, 2016. The song received an award for Best Music Video of the Yearat the 2016 MAMA/Mnet Asian Music Awards. Following up with BLACKPINK’s increasing success, on June 15th, 2018, BLACKPINK’s popular and commonly known song ‘DU-DU-DU-DU’ was released, reaching a nomination for MAMA’s Awards Song of the Year and two other awards. 

Apart from BLACKPINK’s most successful songs, BLACKPINK was the first ever K-Pop Group to perform at Coachella in 2019, performing more of their hit songs: ‘Pink Venom,’ ‘Kill This Love,’ ‘How You Like That,’ ‘Boombayah’ and ‘Lovesick Girls.’ Overall BLACKPINK has been huge when it comes to the U.S. market and modeled for popular brands such as Chanel, Adidas, and Dior. 

Fans speculated the past following months that the girls would split up and would become soloists. These rumors have then been denied as YG Entertainment confirmed an official contract renewal between the four girls on December 6th stating, “an exclusive contract for group activities based on song trust” was signed from BLACKPINK. 

Although an official contract renewal was signed regarding the girls to obligately work together for an unannounced amount of time. BLACKPINK still pursues individual successful careers amongst themselves when it comes to not producing and performing music together. The four girls are ambassadors for different companies such as Lisa being an ambassador for Bulgari and Celine. Jennie being named “human Chanel” for her promotions and being an ambassador for Chanel. Rosé is an ambassador for Saint Laurent and Tiffany & Co and recently YSL Beauty as of this year. Jisoo pursues an acting career for different K-Dramas and recently became an ambassador for Dyson Hair Care after Dior and Cartier.

There is more to come from BLACKPINK. Fans are now predicting a brand new album and world tour regarding their recent contract renewal for 2024.