The End of a Dynasty: Bill Belichick Parts Ways with New England

Photo via AP News
Photo via AP News

The New England Patriots and legendary head coach Bill Belichick have mutually agreed to part ways. Belichick has been the Patriots head coach since 2000 and in his time in New England has won six Super Bowls. In his 24 seasons at the helm the patriots were a dynasty through the 2000s and 2010s. After not making the playoffs three in the last four seasons, questions arose about Belichick’s future in New England. 

This season, the Patriots went 4-13, the worst record of Belichick’s career. There were no signs of improvement and the team had no promising players on the horizon. Belichick, known for his tight-lipped approach, kept the details of the patriots decision private until the end of the season. While there were rumors throughout the season that this could be Bill’s last season in New England, the decision was official this week. 

Belichick leaves New England holding many different achievements and honors. He is a 3x coach of the year and a member of the 2000s and 2010s all decade team. Most importantly, he is known for his iconic phrases such as “the patriot way” and “do your job.” This was the mentality implemented in each Patriot team throughout his tenure. This is what led to the multiple championships and dominance for over two decades. 

Belichick has also affected the future of the NFL with his outstanding coaching tree. A coaching tree is a symbol of coaches who learned under a current head coach. For example, current head coach Mike Vrabel is under Belichick’s coaching tree. Some other notable coaches include Bill O’Brian, Joe Judge, Matt Patrica, Jim Schwarz, and legendary Alabama coach Nick Saban, who just retired this week as well. 

A new patriots chapter will be open once New England hires a new head coach. The Belichick era was defined by success, discipline, and the pursuit of excellence in all fascists of the game. A new challenge awaits for the patriots as they try to replicate a multi-decade long dynasty. As for Belichick, he will go down in history as one of the best coaches pro football has ever seen.