What’s the rage: All you need to know about “rage rooms”

Image via Roanoke College
Image via Roanoke College

Whether it’s a student stressed about an upcoming test or assignment, or it’s an adult worried about their job or finances, everyone has some built up stress and angst. One way of relieving this stress has been on the rise recently: breaking stuff!

The first option to try is a rage room. A rage room is an enclosed, designated space filled with all sorts of destructible things. Someone who is looking to use these rooms has to book a room, also conveying how many people will be in the room with them. The amount of people determines the amount of time the group can spend in the room and the price of the event. Upon arrival, the group of people using the room are provided with safety equipment and a sledgehammer. Once everyone is fully dressed in their safety gear, they enter the room and get to breaking! The guests are allowed to break anything in the room until their time is up. The hope is that once the individuals exit the room, their stresses and worries will be lessened.

According to the Outburst Rage Room located in Riverside County, California, “The act of breaking objects triggers the release of endorphins.” They further elaborate, saying “When we experience anger, frustration, or stress, our bodies respond with a release of adrenaline, a hormone that prepares us for a fight or flight response. However, when we are unable to physically release this adrenaline through movement or physical activity, it can lead to feelings of anxiety and tension. By breaking objects in a rage room, we allow our bodies to release this built-up adrenaline, leading to a release of endorphins and a sense of relaxation.”

If this idea sounds like it might be useful but doesn’t fit in the current budget, there is an alternative. As seen trending on TikTok, there’s a stress relieving activity that only requires a glass plate, a Sharpie, and an empty outdoor area! The idea is for the person who is experiencing stress to write down everything that’s adding displeasure to their lives on a plate with a Sharpie. Once finished writing, the person takes the plate and throws it as hard as possible on the ground. This force causes the plate to shatter, signifying all of the things written on the plate are shattering too. This is a great way to visualize leaving all of the stress and worries behind, and starting fresh (with a new plate)!

Life forces many to “keep their cool” for long periods of time. No matter how calm a person can act, the stress and angst will continue to build until it can eventually be released. For those who feel like the stress just keeps building, or are just feeling upset in general, consider letting that rage out through destruction!