Olivia Rodrigo passes out contraceptives in Missouri

Image via Entertainment Weekly
Image via Entertainment Weekly

The 21-year old pop-star Olivia Rodrigo handed out free contraceptives during her concert in St. Louis, Missouri. Along with the Guts World Tour, Rodrigo announced the Fund 4 Good, which supports access to reproductive services and education. A portion of the proceeds from tour ticket sales will be going to abortion funds for the places she’s touring at. In an Instagram story that was posted before the start of her tour, she stated that “the fund will directly support community-based nonprofits that champion things like girls education, support reproductive rights and prevent gender-based violence.” She added “Thank you so much for supporting this cause that I care so deeply about.”

Rodrigo has been supporting this cause for a long time now. During one of her concerts for her Sour tour Rodrigo defended abortion rights when the Supreme Court opinion overturning the right to the procedure was leaked in May 2022. She stopped her tour in Washington DC and stated that “our bodies should never be in the hands of politicians. I hope we can raise our voices to protect our right to have a safe abortion, which is a right that so many people before us have worked so hard to get.” 

Following the announcement of Fund 4 Good, Rodrigo teamed up with the Missouri Abortion Fund during one of her concerts in Missouri, where abortion is banned, to give out free emergency contraceptive pills for anyone in need. A fan posted a picture of the emergency contraceptives brand, Julie, on X, the caption reading, “free plan b at @OliviaRodrigo in St. Louis tonight. Thank you @MOAbortionfund.” 

Image via X @Cowboylikekin

A rep for Julie told Billboard, “We launched Julie to rewrite the morning after experience for a new generation. Replacing the stigma and shame often associated with emergency contraception with access, exploration, and education is core to who we are, and we’re thankful for artists like Olivia Rodrigo and initiatives like the Missouri Abortion Fund who share our mission.” The rep added that, “Through Julie For All, for every morning-after pill purchased, we donate one to someone in need. We’re proud to have donated over 1 million units to 300-plus partners worldwide.” 

Despite some criticism about the appropriateness of these actions, as Rodrigo has many younger fans that attend her concerts, most reactions seem positive. A fan wrote on X  “To have the generation of mainstream pop girls be this brave and this willing to be 100% clear about an issue that is SO polarizing.. I have tears in my eyes. It’s so awesome to see.”