Next stop, Prince George’s County

Image+via.+The+Washington+Post+
Image via. The Washington Post

Public transportation users are familiar with the multi-colored maps visible at every metro station, but one color will not make an appearance for a few more years. The Maryland Department of Transportation recently issued a statement announcing that the Purple Line will not open until the winter of 2027, five years after the anticipated finish date.

The project of constructing the Purple Line began in Maryland with then governor Larry Hogan who hoped to increase public transportation in places like Montgomery and Prince George’s County. However, by the end of Hogan’s term, the project was over four years behind schedule and the budget had increased by about three and a half billion dollars. 

The delays emerged after the project faced several setbacks. In 2020, a construction contractor left the project. COVID-19 further delayed the project, and in 2022, the project had to request close to three and a half million dollars to account for higher prices caused by inflation.

If the current plan goes as scheduled, the Purple Line will consist of a 16.2 mile long rail system that includes 21 stations. For Marylanders, the Purple Line has potential benefits but the delays impact their daily lives. 

Malcolm Augustine, a state senator for Maryland, commented on the negative effects people in Prince George country feel as a result of the unfinished construction: “They’ve had to live with roads that are basically impassable for years.” However, he acknowledged the importance of this project stating, “for Marylanders who do not want to be in a car, you have to be able to get from one place to another.” He added that this project “remains critical for any sort of growth that can occur in this corridor of Prince George’s County.” 

Maryland leaders hope that the Purple Line will spur development along its route as people lacking transportation will gain access to new jobs and amenities across county lines. Additionally, new housing opportunities are expected to emerge following the Purple Line’s arrival. 

The executive of Prince George’s County, Angela D. Alsobrooks, wrote, “Our transit-oriented development plans around the Purple Line will bring new amenities, homes and jobs to Prince George’s County.” 

Despite the delays, the future is promising for the Purple Line. It will include new features like sound reducing technology, lower floors for more accessible boarding, and zero-emission vehicles. For impatient metro users, this update proves that there is light at the end of the tunnel.