Travis Kelce is more than just “Taylor Swift’s boyfriend”

‘Travis Kelce’ / (Image courtesy of Vox)

It is now confirmed that Taylor Swift is dating football superstar Travis Kelce. The relationship   that is now “breaking the internet” has spiraled out of control in my opinion. Some Swifties on TikTok are failing to call Kelce by his full, real, legal name, and instead choosing to call him “Taylor Swift’s boyfriend.”

As a Swiftie, I am ashamed of the label that we have put on Kelce. Just saying “Taylor Swift’s boyfriend” is a complete understatement of his abilities, and implies that he is only successful because he is dating Taylor Swift. This couldn’t be further from the real facts. 

Even before dating Taylor Swift, Kelce was named the best tight end in the NFL, surpassing huge names such as George Kittle and veteran Mark Andrews. He has made the pro-bowl eight times and holds the record for most yards received by a tight end. Additionally, he is an amazing route runner, knows how to get open, and he is consistent. Not only that, he played a huge role in the Chiefs Super Bowl win last year. Again, before he dated Taylor Swift. 

Most of his Instagram comments are about Taylor Swift ‒ not him, the one who posted the picture. If you look up his name in images, most of the pictures have Taylor Swift in them. I understand that this is a big story, but Kelce has already made a name for himself. 

Though Taylor Swift is a very successful celebrity that deserves every ounce of praise that she gets, there is no reason to ignore the fact that her boyfriend is also a very successful celebrity. People are undermining his achievements by not acknowledging his incredible achievements

Though Kelce might not be bothered by these comments, I feel that he deserves credit for all of his achievements. He is not just Taylor Swift’s boyfriend. His name is Travis Kelce.