Why journalism?

Journalism depiction accredited to UK International Academy.

As students from eighth through eleventh-grade glance over the extensive list of electives offered for their following school year, many see the “Journalism/Newspaper” option listed. Due to the great number of courses and options available, this choice commonly gets overlooked as one a student may believe would look better in college or would be more fun than “just writing.” That perception, however, is clouded by incorrect judgment. If you’re interested in all this class offers in benefits, keep reading!

To begin with, this class truly does look good on college applications. With the increase in AI technology and sites such as Grammarly, the ability of students to write well is on the decline. When a college sees that a student took an elective dedicated to writing, it becomes clear that the student likely has developed and improved their writing skills, causing them to be a decent writer. This skill is highly credited now, especially since it has become rare.

Additionally, this class keeps students informed. With as much going on as students have, the task of keeping up with local and national news often falls on a low priority. Journalism allows students to not only be aware of what’s going on around them but also causes them to inform others. Understanding the world around you is a skill that allows people to make better and more informed choices in their daily lives, which is incredibly beneficial.

On top of the educational benefits that this course offers, the environment and enjoyment of the class are some of the biggest draws to the class. Within this classroom, students who normally would not interact, work together and talk to one another almost constantly. Due to the necessity of collaboration that this class demands, there is a sense of community that is so comforting and fun for the students involved. This pleasure causes the requirement for work to get done to be manageable because students can have fun while they do it.

If this class seems like your cup of tea but writing is not, don’t count yourself out! Journalism offers alternate sources of media than simply writing articles. Some of the other forms of production that are journalism-approved are podcasts, social media production, video making, advertising, and even more! Due to the class being student-run, there are many tasks other than writing that need to be fulfilled.

In conclusion, this class is one that many students overlook due to the preconceived notions tied to it. The class offers the opportunity to improve writing skills, deepen scholarly knowledge, and build community and collaboration skills, making it a top contender for many. If you’re unsure about which class to take in the future and enjoy independent and collaborative work, journalism might be worth a try!