Goff, Lions stun Kansas City in NFL opener

Brian Branch’s pick six, via InsideHook

Patrick Mahomes led his team out of the tunnel to the cheers and raves of many in a sold-out Arrowhead Field. The NFL’s 104th Season kicked off in Kansas City last night. The Chiefs, coming off their 3rd Superbowl, are looking to be the first repeat Superbowl Champion in the last 20 years. 

On the second drive of the game, the Lions faked a punt on 4th and 2 in their own territory. This was a gutsy move by Lions head coach Dan Cambell but it paid off and Detroit got the first down. Later that drive, Jared Goff threw a 9 yard touchdown pass to Wide Receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, making for the first points in the 23-24 season. The Chiefs striked back the next drive as star Quarterback Patrick Mahomes connected with rookie Rashee Rice at the goal line to knot it at seven a piece.

After a fumble on the 10 yard line by the Lions, Kansas City ended the half on a good note with Patrick Mahomes firing a 4 yard pass to Tight End Blake Bell to put them ahead 14-7 at halftime. 

After the half, Patrick Mahomes threw an interception off of the hands of receiver Kadarius Toney, which deflected into the hands of Lions rookie Defensive back Brian Branch, who returned it for a 50 yard pick-6 to tie the game 14 a piece. 

After a few drives of punting back and forth, a huge break of a pass interference penalty was called on the Lions to place Kansas City on the lions 25 yard line. The drive ended with a 35 yarder from Kicker Harrison Butker to place the Chiefs on top, 17-14.

The Chiefs struck again after another field goal by Harrison Butker. Afterward, Detroit marched down the field to score to put them ahead, as offseason addition David Montgomery punched it into the endzone to put the Lions up 21-20. After a punt from KC, and then a huge 4th & 2 stop from the Chiefs, Wide Receiver Kadarius Toney drops a 19 yarder from Mahomes. This ended up to be his 3rd drop of the day on 5 targets with 1 catch for Toney. Then on 4th and 25, Mahomes couldn’t convert a 25 yard pass, leading to a turnover on downs and then a Detroit Lions win.

The Lions came away with the victory 21-20. Patrick Mahomes loses his first week 1 game as a starter without star Tight End Travis Kelce, and the Chiefs will fall to 0-1.