South Lakes Football Update

From left to right Jack Schnabel, Nick Harris, James Zschunke, and Cam Thies. / Credits to Mamoonas.Moments

South Lakes Football is coming off a 4-6 season. However, this season is different. With 33 seniors, the Seahawks had their sights on significantly improving that below .500 record . And boy did the season start off on the right note. 

The Seahawks started off week one with a bang as senior Brian Kennedy returned the first kickoff of the season to the house to put South Lakes up early. Thanks to multiple defensive touchdowns, the Seahawks took a 21-0 lead before a weather delay forced a suspension of the game. After the weather cleared, the Seahawks kept the pedal to the metal and beat Osbourn 46-6. South Lakes traveled to Robinson the following week to shutout the Rams 42-0. The Seahawks continued their success on both sides of the ball defeating Falls Church 65-0. 

When asked about the Seahawks preparation for the season, senior quarterback, Nick Harris, stated “Our commitment and dedication to the weight room this off-season is what has put us in this position”. South Lakes has been putting in extra work this off-season, lifting, running, and multiple practices a day. Harris mentions the team’s success “We have a lot of great leaders on our team”. Thanks to Senior Captains, Nick Harris, Jack Schnabel, Jacob Kyger, Cam Thies, and James Zschunke, the Seahawks have bonded and came together as one team. 

After a strong 3-0 start, the Seahawks need to not get ahead of themselves. “Just think about what happened last year. Us not making the playoffs and now we’re coming different this year.” said Senior Offensive Lineman, Mohamed Ali. Harris also commented saying “We need to remember how our previous seasons went and not end like last year”. Harris mentions the Seahawks 4-6 record last year, and talks about how things need to improve. 

South Lakes is nearing district play as they look forward to facing off against their rivals, Herndon and Madison, both on the road. “Beating Madison” is what Senior Captain and Linebacker, Jacob Kygyer repeated. The Seahawks face off against their district foe in mid October, but need to focus on their upcoming schedule which includes Mount Vernon on senior night, Herndon, and their first district game against Chantilly.

Harris stated, “We started out 3-0 and need to continue that hot streak into the playoffs.” South Lakes takes on Mount Vernon on 9/14, as the Seahawks watch all 33 seniors participate in a night that they soon won’t forget.