U.S. women’s gymnastics wins world championships

Image via Sporting News
Image via Sporting News

The U.S. national women’s gymnastics team has done it again! They have won the World Championships for a seventh year in a row, becoming the first team in women’s or men’s gymnastics history to achieve this title. 

This year, the team consisted of six talented gymnasts: Joscelyn Roberson, Leanne Wong, Shilese Jones, Skye Blakely, Kayla DiCello, and Simone Biles. These ladies all contributed great efforts to take the final win by the end of the competition, beating out the seven other countries also in the running.

On top of the team championships, there is also the individual competition on Friday that the gymnasts had to qualify for in the team competition. Simone Biles and Shilese Jones were able to come out on top for all around, advancing to the next stage on all four events. Simone Biles and Joscelyn Roberson will advance to the vault championships, and Shilese Jones and Simone Biles will advance to the uneven bars, balance beam, and floor championships. In order to make it to the individual event championships, you must score in the top eight of every competitor in the world. This accomplishment is incredibly impressive, considering just how many people they had to beat in order to achieve this.

All in all, this team has a lot to be proud of. Winning the championship is already impressive, but winning seven years in a row is a whole other level of achievement. These ladies absolutely stepped up when it came to this nerve racking environment, and their hard work surely paid off. After this admirable showing, many are excited to see what they are able to accomplish at the 2024 Paris Olympics!