South Lakes Football remains undefeated against Madison

Image+via
The Washington Post
Image via

South Lakes improved to 8-0 after a thrilling 12-7 victory over the previously undefeated Madison Warhawks. The Warhawks had the Seahawks outnumbered, winning the last four matchups. However, South Lakes Seahawks ended Madison’s Warhawks run with an impeccable triumph. 

Both teams came into this highly anticipated match up with a record of 7-0. Even against district rivals, the Seahawks came into the week with the same approach: Practice, watch film, and lock in. “We have been doing what we’ve been doing all year,” said senior defensive back, Jack Schnabel. Schnabel continued to say “this offseason the seniors class really came together, doing a good job staying flushed throughout our practices.” 

The focus of the Seahawks defense all year has been “bend, don’t break.” Schnabel said that when “things go wrong, stay with it and stop them the next drive.” South Lakes only allowed seven points against Madison who has averaged nearly 28 points per game. The Seahawks have continually had some of the best defensive performances in the region this year, allowing a district low 7.4 points per game. 

Madison, likewise, also has an incredible defense. Senior Quarterback, Nick Harris, said “We all really believe in ourselves and our teammates. We believed we were going to win.” 

The Seahawks took an early 3-0 lead before allowing a touchdown in the second quarter, going into the half down by four. After a Brian Kennedy receiving touchdown, South Lakes took a 9-7 lead. Kicker Dillon Benyo made a clutch 40 yard field goal to extend the lead to 12-7. 

After a spectacular catch by Warhawk Receiver Cord Yates, Madison had a chance to win the game. But, the Seahawk defense was able to come up with a stop and seal the victory. This win would improve the Seahawks to 8-0 for only the second time in school history. 

The upcoming schedule for the Seahawks includes the upcoming road game against Centreville. The season ends with a home game against the Westfield Bulldogs. With this win, the Seahawks have clinched at least one home playoff game this november. 

This win officially put the Seahawks on the map and will look to be contending for a State Championship later this fall.