Mahomes, Chiefs claim back to back Super Bowls in overtime thriller

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes hoists the Lombardi Trophy after his Super Bowl 58 win. Image via People

The Kansas City Chiefs have repeated as world champions.

It took a second half comeback and the second ever overtime in Super Bowl history, but the Chiefs pulled it out. 

This victory establishes their dynasty as the team to beat in the NFL. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes has clinched his third Super Bowl victory along with his third Super Bowl MVP in five appearances. 

The story of the first half was both teams’ defenses. 49ers DT Arik Armstead stood out in the first half, chalking up six total tackles and one sack at the end of the game. On the 49ers first drive, a Christian McCaffery fumble in the red zone ended up costly after a solid drive. The 49ers defense then forced a three and out. After that, it was mostly a punting fest. There were five punts in the first half, three by Kansas City and two by San Francisco. The first points of the game came off of a Jake Moody 55 yard field goal. The 55 yarder was the longest field goal in Super Bowl history for just two quarters. 

The next score came off of a passing touchdown from the 49ers wide receiver Juwaun Jennings to Christian McCaffery. That is not a typo. In a trick play, QB Brock Purdy lateraled the ball backwards to Jennings, who then threw it crossfield to McCaffery who got free and scored from 21 yards out to make it a 10-0 game in the second quarter. The Chiefs finished off the half with a field goal as the clock ran down to make it 10-3 going into Usher’s performance.

Returning from halftime, both teams seemed to come out of the gate more aggressive. The Chiefs struck first, with a 57 yard field goal that set the new record for longest field goal in Super Bowl history. After the 49ers fumbled a punt at the 16 yard-line giving the Chiefs the ball back, the next play for Kansas City resulted in Patrick Mahomes finding Marquez Valdez-Scantling in the back of the endzone unattended for a 16 yard touchdown. 

Purdy and the 49ers pushed back, with Purdy finding Juwan Jennings this time for a receiving touchdown, making him and former Eagles QB Nick Foles the only two players in NFL history to catch and throw a touchdown in the Super Bowl. Jake Moody’s extra point was blocked, making the score 16-13 and giving the Chiefs back the ball with a chance to tie it. 

And tie it they did. Harrison Butker knocked down a 24 yard field goal to give Purdy and the Niners the ball back late in the fourth. The 40 yard drive went into the two minute warning as Moody and San Francisco settled for a second field goal. Patrick Mahomes would then lead his team down the field, settling for field goal number four with three seconds left in regulation. This game would be decided in overtime.

The new overtime rules are as follows: Each team gets one possession, no matter if the clock runs out or not. The team that gets the ball second has to match the amount of points that the opposing team did to continue the game, if they score more, then the game is over.

The 49ers controversially elected to receive the ball first. Purdy and the offense drove down to the Chiefs 11 yard line but on 4th down and 4, head coach Kyle Shanahan made the decision to kick a field goal to make it a three point lead, essentially putting trust in his defense. A decision he would regret in about ten minutes.

Mahomes and the Chiefs drove down the field. They started at their own 25, and ended up with three seconds left, down three, at the 49ers three yard line with Super Bowl number 3 in the Mahomes era on the line. Mahomes took the snap out of shotgun formation, rolled out right, fired a dot to WR Mecole Hardman who hauled it in to win the Super Bowl. Hardman recalled that after he caught the ball he “blacked out”. 

A truly fitting ending to an amazing game and NFL season.