South Lakes baseball season preview

Image via South Lakes Baseball

Last year, the South Lakes Baseball team was off to a blazing hot start, winning seven of their first eight games. They started off the season with a 2-1 victory in freezing temperatures against Yorktown before defeating Liberty district champion, the Marshall Statesman by a score of 16-0. The Seahawks were on fire going into district play and spring break, where they traveled to Myrtle Beach. After the break, South Lakes’ season started to turn downhill, finishing the year 9-11 and losing in the first round of the district tournament. 

This season, the Seahawks are looking for revenge. Led by a strong senior class, South Lakes looks to not only improve from last season, but also win districts, regionals, and beyond. Three year varsity starter, Owen Wojciechowski, stated: “As a senior, I have been to the district tournament a couple of times, but to bring a trophy to South Lakes? That would be awesome.” 

South Lakes Baseball has produced a plethora of college talent in the past couple seasons. This year, the Seahawks have three division one players including Wojciechowski, who is attending James Madison University, Chris Downs, who is going to University of Maryland Eastern Shore, and Rocky Green, who has multiple Division One offers. When asked about his college recruitment process, Downs answered with “The process was hard. At the last second one of the coaches reached out and was interested in me. And that was that.” 

“The goal is to win a championship. This year we are winning three.” said the junior catcher, Blake DeHoust. This year the Seahawks have lofty expectations, but ones that many players see as reasonable. “I expect to win districts and then go even further,” said Chris Downs. With what many see as a down year for the Concorde district, South Lakes aims to take advantage and bounce back from last season’s debacle. 

The Seahawks season starts March 12th at home, against Marshall, before traveling to Herndon on March 15th.