South Lakes Boys Basketball state championship preview

Image via @sl_boysbasketball/Instagram

The South Lakes boys basketball team has had an incredible season as they head off to the Virginia State Championship game to do something even Seahawks legend, Grant Hill, could not accomplish. After losing in the past two seasons in the state semifinals to Hayfield, the Seahawks got their revenge, winning 52-41 behind a stellar performance from point guard Brian Kennedy and forward Aiden Billings. Billings stated “Having played against them in two straight years, we know what they do. We should have and could have beaten them the last two years, but to finally get over the hump was a triumphant relief.”

The South Lakes Seahawks face off against the Patriot Pioneers who defeated them earlier in the season in December. “We know what we have to do. We know how to stop them. We know their flaws,” Billings said. Patriot, who is known for their stellar three point shooting, shot an otherworldly 70% the last time the two teams matched up. Billings and the Seahawks have a difficult match ahead of them as they will try and stop the Pioneers and their scorching hot offense. 

The Virginia Class Six championship game will be played Saturday, March 9th at Virginia Commonwealth University at 1pm. “It’s a big stage, a lot of fans,” said senior guard Tyler Andre. When asked about playing in front of the biggest crowd and arena in his career, Andre proclaimed, “I’m excited. It is the biggest game of my life.” 

South Lakes has won 17 games in a row as they look to continue their streak and end their season on the highest note possible, a state championship.