The South Lakes wrestling team pinned down a great season

Image via @slakeswrestling on Instagram
Image via @slakeswrestling on Instagram

Seahawk wrestlers left it all on the mat this season with two athletes placing at Districts and Regionals as well as qualifying for States. The positive atmosphere helped athletes build and grow their skills which led to the huge successes this season. 

Senior Jayden Loveranes, who is in the 144 pound weight class, got second at Districts, first at Regionals and second at States. He was also named South Lakes’ Athlete of the Month in December. 

“I watched videos of wrestling to prepare for the meets,” Loveranes said. “I felt good after my performance. I didn’t win, but I got second.” 

His teammate, Junior Aiden Sanders, got second in the 138 pound weight class at Districts, first at Regionals and sixth at States. 

“I did pretty good this season,” Sanders said. “I was really proud of my performances at Districts and Regionals even though I got sixth at States.”

Along with the huge successes from the upperclassmen, Freshman Nate Scrapper made the podium in the 113 weight class at Districts with a second place finish. 

In addition to the great performances from the athletes, Assistant Coach Matt Sanders won the Concord Conference Assistant Coach of the year. He is also Aidan Sanders’ dad. 

“I wrestled for eight years before coming to high school,” Aidan Sanders said. “My dad got me into wrestling, and he wrestled at this school.” 

The team fostered a great environment for the wrestlers, and helped them maintain a positive attitude through the difficulties. 

“I’m not even kidding, my teammates are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met,” Senior Myles Brown said. “Even though I didn’t do good this season, I am really glad I joined the team.”

These Seahawks did an amazing job this season and are ready to keep the momentum going for next year!