NHL Playoff preview

Image via Britannica

The NHL Playoffs are right around the corner, coming up in less than a month. This means teams are scrambling to be one of the top 8 teams in each division to make the playoffs. Teams are also fighting it out to be the top seed in each division, to guarantee home ice advantage. 

The Florida Panthers have been one of the better teams in the league for the past 4 years. Since 2020, they have made the playoffs every year, and have basically clinched a playoff berth this year. Right now they are the first seed in their conference, with a three point lead over the very talented Boston Bruins. They have proved to be one of the best teams with a 45-17 record, and a positive goal differential of 65. 

Next we’ll take a look at the number one seed in the West, the Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks have a much different story than the Panthers, as they have not made the playoffs since the shortened 2019-2020 season. However, this year has been a very different story for them, as they currently hold a three point lead over the Colorado Avalanche. One of the many reasons for this success, is the excellent play from their center, J.T. Miller, who is currently sixth in the league in points. Another key player has been their goalie, Thatcher Demko, who is eighth in the league for goals allowed per game. 

Lastly we’ll take a look at the Washington Capitals. The Capitals Have Had an interesting past couple of years. After winning the Stanley Cup in 2018, it seems as if they have not gotten any better, and instead of continuing their great play, they got content with winning and have gotten worse. After missing the playoffs last year, they came into the season looking for a bounce back year. But so far they have fallen short of this. They are currently 10th in their conference, and if the season were to end today, they would miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons. They are currently three points behind where they need to be to make the playoffs, and need to play great hockey for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. 

The NHL Playoffs are always very exciting and provide a lot of excitement for the viewers and players. But it is also very demanding from the players, as they tire their body out almost every day, but it’s time to see who still has something in the tank.