WNBA Draft Recap

Image via Getty
Image via Getty

On Monday April 16th, the 2024 WNBA’s draft was held. Many popular college players of this year attended it, including Caitlyn Clark from the University of Iowa, Angel Reese from Louisiana State University, and Cameron Brink from Stanford University. Last night, many talented women moved on from college and committed to play for different WNBA teams. 

The talented women’s college basketball player, Catlin Clark was the number one pick, going to the Indiana Fever. Clark’s future after college basketball was well anticipated and her fans were packed in the Gainbridge Fieldhouse to see her with a Fever jersey. Clark’s teammate from Iowa, Kate Martin got drafted by the Las Vegas Aces. Martin went to the WNBA draft to support Clark but she ended up getting drafted as well. “There are a lot of emotions right now,” Martin said in an interview on ESPN. “I’m really happy to be here. I was here to support Caitlin, but I was hoping to hear my name called. All I wanted was an opportunity and I got it. I’m really excited.” A lot  is expected of these two Iowa players and fans are excited to see what they will bring to WNBA. 

Cameron Brink is an accomplished young woman who is finishing up both her academic and athletic career at Stanford University. She was the 2nd pick of the night last night, and is now on her way to California to play for the Los Angeles Sparks. With her defensive skills and three pointers, she will be a great addition to the team. Another great player of this year is Angel Reese. Reese was the 7th pick in the draft, and is joining the Chicago Sky team in Illinois. Reese is anticipated to bring a lot to this team with her insane rebounding skills. 

Overall, many talented players were drafted this year. The 2024 WNBA draft was one of the most viewed WNBA drafts of all time, and fans are expecting great things from these young athletes. Stay tuned for the 2024-2025 season to watch these young women grow!