« Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Ravenstahl »

Photo Courtesy of Mr. Ravenstahl
Photo Courtesy of Mr. Ravenstahl

Mr. Ravenstahl teaches in his classroom by day but that’s not all there is to him. Mr. Ravenstahl is an Art 1, IB visual art, and Theory of Knowledge teacher here at South Lakes. He has been an upstanding member of the Seahawk society for 28 years! He grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and attended Carlynton High School. For his undergraduate degree, he attended Indiana University of Pennsylvania. His master’s degree was completed at the University of Maryland. Both degrees were in studio art. Later, he got his doctorate in England at Durham University. Students describe him as inspirational and kind. He says that deep red represents him as a person because “it is a color of passion and commitment and those are two things that I believe in very deeply.”

Outside of school, he loves to travel, especially overseas. He recently took a trip to Iceland with his family. His spirit animal is an owl. Peaky Blinders, a Netflix production is his favorite show and the Holy Grail is his favorite movie. His favorite food is frozen grapes. If he could have any superpower he would want to be able to manipulate time, and his hidden talent is that he is very funny. His favorite artist is David Hammons. Growing up in Pittsburgh, Mr. Ravenstahl is a big supporter of the Steelers. In his free time, he enjoys cheering on the Steelers and spending time with his granddaughter. He is a very caring and kind person, so it goes without question when he said that if he won the lottery, the first thing he would do is “give some money to the needy.”

Being an art teacher at South Lakes, his favorite part of his job is the students. He said that his favorite part about South Lakes is how “we have always been a welcoming place and there is very much a live and let live attitude here.” If Mr. Ravenstahl was not a teacher, he does not know what else he would do. He said, “I don’t know if there is anything else I can do.”

What is your favorite part about your job?