Best local study spots

Image via The Spectrum

With finals and SOLs coming up it’s more important than ever to have a place to focus. Studying at home sounds nice in theory, but it can be easy to get distracted. Oftentimes productivity can become easier by finding somewhere out of the house to work. Here are some local places you can study in.

Tatte

Image via The Burn

Tatte is a bakery and cafe located in Reston Town Center which opened in November of 2023. They serve pastries, drinks, and dishes. The restaurant has a European inspired interior and customers can order at the counter. Tatte is open 7:00 AM though 8:00 PM and has various tables to study at while eating your pastries. 

Freshman Anya Crevits often studies at Tatte with a friend. She thought that Tatte was a great Cafe to study in as there are less distractions than at home. “When you’re in an environment where it’s busy and fast paced, you focus more whereas there are so many distractions at home.” Crevits said, “I always scroll on my phone or watch TV at home.” She felt that she studied better when she was out of the house and the environment of Tatte helped her focus.

Studying out of the house can pressure you to really focus and pay attention. “I’m more productive out of the house because at home there are a lot of distractions and it’s easy to find yourself watching TV instead of actually studying,” Freshmen Belen Brown said. She agreed with Crevits in the way that TV and electronics can be a distraction at home and studying out of the house takes that temptation away. 

Barnes and Noble

A new Barnes and Noble moved into the Spectrum Center next to the Town Center in July. The new location features a Barnes and Noble cafe sponsored by Starbucks. There are relaxing chairs throughout the store as well as a seating area in the Cafe. This bookstore is typically quiet, making it a great place to study. 

Lake Anne Plaza

Lake Anne is a great place to study outdoors, with benches and cafes to settle down in. One cafe to visit is the Lake Anne Coffee House which sells coffees, teas, and snacks as well as offering seating. Along with restaurants and a bookstore, Lake Anne is a relaxing place to study. 

“I would study on the benches on the lake because it’s not too crowded on a weekday and it’s relaxing,” Brown said. One of the perks of Lake Anne is that it’s not too busy, which lessens distractions. 

Reston Regional Library

The Reston library is a quiet space with many spots to study. Computers and seating areas are provided with large tables which are great for studying in groups. There are also comfortable benches and chairs to study or read independently. 

It’s important to find a space where you can really pay attention but oftentimes home is not the right place for that. Getting out of the house can be the key to getting work done and focusing.