“I Am ShowJoe”

Back to Article
Back to Article

“I Am ShowJoe”

Photo courtesy of Joseph Dagbe

Photo courtesy of Joseph Dagbe

Photo courtesy of Joseph Dagbe

Photo courtesy of Joseph Dagbe

Taylor Anderson, staff writer

South Lakes junior Joseph Dagbe, otherwise known as “Showjoe,” has taken an interest to the world of music. The football and basketball star decided one day to experiment in lyric writing with little expectation of it ever going beyond him and his friends. The young creator’s highest intentions for his first song were that of the enjoyment of his close friends, and nothing of selfish assumption like it obviously blowing up, even though, fortunately, that turned to reality.

Dagbe is a strong advocator for people’s constant happiness and strives to spread positivity. He instills meaning within everything he does, including his signature poses and song titles. Using body language to establish a charming trademark, Dagbe continues to encourage positivity. Pairing a smile and a peace sign, he embodies joy. Along with displaying happiness, he acknowledges culture through his signature one-handed heart sign, which he learned from a friend in the foreign exchange program only a week before dropping his first song, “Foreign Drip.”

When writing his music, he takes into account how much his family has inspired him to stay confident and persistent – even when the weight of school work, sports, and socializing starts to get heavier. Strategizing and prioritizing are a large part of how Dagbe manages every challenge that comes with being a teenager and doing what he loves. Even though music is just a hobby for now, he still puts all of his heart into working his magic and making incredible tunes.

After his first song was released near the end of 2018, it took off. He told his friends about it, who then told their friends, and then told their friends. As more and more people heard about it, the news spread until the song had reached 50k plays in only two months. The general reaction from people was a pleasant surprise for Dagbe and inspired him to continue producing music.

Through his passion, excitement, and positive vibes, Dagbe encourages his fans to keep on going. He said that every morning asking himself, “If you died today, how would you want people to remember you?” He added, “If today was my last day, I’d want to have done something.”

About the Writer
Taylor Anderson, Staff Writer

Taylor is a freshman at South Lakes, staff writer, editor, and director of advertising, She loves to write and is very excited to continue journalism in...