‘The Boy And The Heron’ review: another animated breakthrough from Studio Ghibli

Image via GKIDS
Image via GKIDS

Just months ago, the world thought that the 2013 film The Wind Rises was the last ever Studio Ghibli film to be made under legendary director, Hayao Miyazaki. Luckily for fans, Miyazaki is a man full of surprises. 

Emerging from his retirement to write and direct the movie, Miyazaki strikes again with his latest film, The Boy And The Heron. Originally titled How Do You Live?, the seven-year long project was released in July of 2023 in Japan and October 2023 in the US. The film has met massive acclaim and ticket sales across the globe, claiming the top spot in the North American box office and winning a Golden Globe for best animated feature.

The film follows a Japanese boy named Mahito Maki whose mother is killed in a WWII airstrike. Years later, Mahito struggles with grief, PTSD, and change as he tries to navigate life with a new motherwho’s also his aunt. In true Studio Ghibli fashion, Mahito ventures through fantastical dimensions with a mysterious heron, learning to reconcile with his loss and move forward in a scary and imperfect world.

Image via GKIDS

From the dream-like plot to the enchanting artwork, most viewers can agree that The Boy And The Heron is a film like no other. The movie is particularly unique for Studio Ghibli; not only is the plot much more complex than previous films, but Miyazaki also admitted that it’s his most personal work yet. Notably, The Boy And The Heron is one of the most expensive films made in Japanese history, and it’s easy to see why. Every frame of the movie is nothing short of breathtaking, making even the slower scenes enjoyable. Additionally, the film boasts a masterful soundtrack by Joe Hisaishi along with a surprisingly successful English dub. Even for Studio Ghibli standards, the production of this movie is simply phenomenal. 

However, as much praise as it’s received, The Boy And The Heron has also been criticized for its elaborate and ambiguous nature. Some viewers say they became univested as the film progressed, comparing the story to “a rabbit hole” with too many loose ends. It’s clear that Miyazaki prioritized his personal vision over catering to the masses, so rewatching the film is almost a necessity to fully grapple with its contents. Nonetheless, if viewers aren’t afraid of being challenged, this movie could be a refreshing and thought-provoking experience.

Image via GKIDS

Months ago, The Boy And The Heron was thought to be Miyazaki’s epic conclusion to his movie-making career. But once again, a recent CBC interview with Studio Ghibli’s Vice President suggests that the director is not planning to immediately retire. While there’s been speculation that his new project will involve one of his earliest films, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, fans still don’t know what to expect next. Whatever the future holds, we can bet that Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli are planning something even bigger and better than the last.