Ted Leonsis, Murial Bowser, D.C. council to revitalize Chinatown and CapitalOne Arena

Image via The Athletic
Image via The Athletic

Change is coming to D.C.

On Tuesday, Ted Leonsis sent out an email to Monumental Sports customers announcing a partnership with D.C. Mayor Murial Bowser and the D.C. council to keep the Wizards and Capitals in Washington until the year 2050. 

This decision comes after announced plans by Leonsis and VA governor Glenn Youngkin to move the Caps and Wizards to Alexandria in hopes of a big Monumental Sports complex that would include Virginia Tech sports analytics buildings, a concert hall, and a new arena for the Washington Capitals and Wizards. However, that plan folded. Leonsis sighted politics as the main reason that the deal fell through. The whole time that the Virginia deal was being settled, tensions between D.C. and Leonsis never soured and they kept on speaking terms.

The 515 million dollar deal with D.C. includes improved crime and safety reform in Chinatown, the area where CapitalOne Arena is located, 200,000 square foot expansion of Gallery Place, and the renovation of CapitalOne Arena, which is set to include 5 star culinary options that go far beyond regular gameday options, enhanced technology, and new seating options.