Best Buddies program helps Seahawks soar

Image via @seahawk_bestbuddies
Image via @seahawk_bestbuddies

There is something to be said about the kindness of strangers. Making friends is at the heart of becoming part of any community. What better way to make that happen than through the Best Buddies program. 

Here, at South Lakes, Best Buddies makes it possible for students with disabilities to connect, build relationships, and engage with the general population. The program’s mission is to promote inclusivity and awareness, creating opportunities for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities to build one-on-one friendships, gain experience through employment, develop leadership skills, and further their education beyond high school. 

Work Awareness and Transition (WAT) teacher Chelsea Swasey is the club sponsor. Her goal is to support students as they make connections and build relationships, which can be difficult for students with developmental challenges. The relationships they build encourage and inspire students to engage in learning, participate in school activities and feel more connected to their school community.  

“As a special education teacher and someone who has worked closely with individuals with disabilities for a long time, I think it provides a really nice opportunity for students that might not otherwise have friendships with peers,” Swasey said.  “I think it’s really exciting to see student volunteers working with the special-ed teachers, staff, and most of all, students who participate in special-ed classes.”

Students like Nora Patterson really enjoy being part of the program and participating in the activities. 

“I like the projects we do.” “My favorite part of the club is when we do crafts. I really enjoyed making paper hearts on Valentine’s day,” Sophomore, Nora Patterson said. “I made a new friend with Senior, Zainab Omer Mohammed and that makes me happy.”  

As the club sponsor, Swasey is there to supervise and support the club, but in reality the club is mainly run by students. 

“There are a lot of young people in our school who are invested in making and keeping these friendships and bringing more awareness to the club,” Swasey said. 

Junior Sonja Barry is a student volunteer who joined the club at the beginning of the year. She wanted to become part of the program because she wants students with disabilities to be treated like everyone else and to feel connected to other students in the school. 

“What I like best about the program is that it helps bring students together and makes them more aware of the challenges these students face and helps them become more comfortable with their “buddies” in the program,”  Barry said.  “What makes it even more special is that these relationships don’t end with high school, many times they become lifelong friendships.”   

Keep an eye out for the South Lakes Best Buddies program!