Top 10 Horror Movies to watch this Halloween

Getty_Images
Main Thumbnail: ‘Halloween Decor’ distributed by iStock and reserved image credits to Getty.

Be in the spooky mood this October by watching these top ten horror movies! In this article, the top ten best horror movies to watch this October will be covered. So that when Halloween comes around, you’ll be ready to celebrate!

Starting off strong, in 10th place is Barbarian. It was written and directed by Zack Cregger and distributed by 20th Century Studios, released in the late summer of 2022, on September 9th. It’s around a woman who rents out a house on Airbnb, but once she arrives, she is greeted by another man who claims he rented the same house out. Throughout her stay, strange things start to occur, while staying in that house, she discovers more.  This horror film can be streamed either on HBO Max or Hulu.

Barbarian (2022) - IMDb
Barbarian (2022) – IMDb

Coming in at number nine is It, directed by Andrés Muschietti, and distributed by Warner Bros on September 8th, 2017. This film is based on Stephen King’s popular hit novel, It. The film follows a group of kids who are being tormented by a killer clown named Pennywise. This movie can be streamed on Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max, Hulu, Apple TV, and Paramount.

It (TV Mini Series 1990) - IMDb
It (2017) – IMDb

Movie number eight is the classic horror movie Scream. It was directed by Wes Craven and distributed by Dimension Films, released in 1996, and became a big hit.  Scream is about a teenage girl, Sidney Prescott, who is terrorized by a mask killer who goes after her and her friends in a deadly game involving scary movies.  Scream is streamed on Paramount+ and AMC.

Scream | BBFC
Scream (1998) – BBFC

At number seven, is the movie, Annabelle.  It’s directed by John R. Leonetti and disturbed by Warner Bros. “Annabelle is an installment of three movies, the first one released in 2014, and the latest one released in 2019. In Annabelle,“ John Form buys a vintage doll for his wife thinking it’s the best gift. One night, the devil takes over the house and when the cultist tries to get rid of the devil, it takes over the vintage doll. This movie can be watched on Hulu, Apple TV, or Prime Video.

Annabelle (2014) - IMDb
Annabelle (2014) – IMDb

The Conjuring is next on the list at number six. This movie has been well known for a while, as it is based off of a true story, but it’s still a favorite.  The Conjuring was directed by James Wan, and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures on July 19, 2013. In this movie, the Perron Family moved into a new farm house, and noticed paranormal activity. Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, investigate and try to help them eliminate these demonic presences. This film can be watched on Hulu, YouTube, Vudu, and HBO Max.

The Conjuring (2013) - IMDb
The Conjuring (2013) – IMDb

Next up, number five is a brand new movie called Totally Killer. This movie was directed by Nahnatchka Khan and produced by Amazon MGM Studios in 2023. The movie follows a 17 year old girl Jamie, who gets sent back in time. When the Sweet-Sixteen-Killer returns 35 years later, in an attempt to kill more people, Jamie must figure out a way to prevent the murders from happening back in 1987. This movie can be streamed on Prime Video.

Totally Killer (2023) - IMDb
Totally Killer (2023) – IMDb

The Nightmare on Elm Street is number four. This movie is an oldie, but a goodie. Released in 1984, it was directed by Wes Craven and distributed by New Line Cinema and FilmFlex.  The Nightmare on Elm Street is about a teenage girl named Nancy Thompson, and her friends, who have been targeted by the spirit of a serial killer that has long sharp blades as hands. This spirit targets the children in their sleep. However, if the children get murdered or injured in their dream, the same thing happens in real life.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) – IMDb

Number three is Get Out.  This film is directed by Jordan Peele and disturbed by Universal Studios. It was released in 2017 and made $4,500,000 USD. This movie follows a young couple, Chris and Rose. They go to meet her parents and as the days go by, a series of disturbing discoveries let Chris uncover a truth he couldn’t have imagined. Get Out can be watched on Netflix, Peacock TV, Apple TV, or Prime Video.

Get Out (2017) - IMDb
Get Out (2017) – IMDb

In second place is the movie Us.  It was directed by Jordan Peele and distributed by Universal Pictures.  Us was released in 2019 and became a huge phenomenon. Accompanied by her family, Adelaide goes back to her childhood beachfront home. She believes something bad will occur by being haunted by her old childhood trauma. When a family of strangers show up, Adelaide’s fears become reality. The family is terrified to discover that when each of the strangers takes off their masks they take the appearance of each member of Adelaide’s family.  Us can be streamed on Netflix, and Peacock.

Us (2019) - IMDb
Us (2019) – IMDb

The number one film to watch is Halloween. It’s directed by John Carpenter and distributed by Compass International Pictures, Sony Pictures and Aquarius Releasing. Halloween was released on October 25th, 1978, just in time for the holiday! This movie follows the horrific life of serial killer, Michael Myers, killing his first victim at six-years-old, he killed his 17-year-old sister. While paying his 15 years in the mental institution, Myers broke out of prison at 21 years old, and returned to his hometown to scout out his next victims. This movie is an awesome film to watch around Halloween on Amazon Prime, Crackle, Philo, and the Roku Channel.

Halloween (1978) - IMDb
Halloween (1978) – IMDb