Ranking all five of Playboi Carti’s unreleased singles

Playboi Carti in a gas station during his music video for the song “2024” 
Image via Youtube
Playboi Carti in a gas station during his music video for the song “2024” Image via Youtube

During Playboi Cartis’ lucrative, mysterious, and hectic rollout that has included leaked texts with Kanye, rumors that he was recording his alleged album “Music” in a cave in Italy, and arrest footage from 2021 of Carti going 133 MPH in a 55 MPH zone in Atlanta, he has dropped five different singles. All songs are not on music streaming platforms, with three existing on his Instagram spam account (URTHEM00N, H00DBYAIR, EVILJ0RDAN), and two posted on Youtube (2024, BACKR00MS).

Today I will be ranking all five, worst to best, starting with…

#5: “URTHEM00N/Different Day”

The first single during the “I AM MUSIC” rollout, “Different Day” is the weakest of the released bunch. A choppy and inconsistent flow riddles throughout the track as a recurring keyboard echoes in the background. The song is good overall, however, it’s inconsistency makes it feel like it can be fixed.

#4: H00DBYAIR

H00DBYAIR is the first exclusive deep voiced Carti song, and it has a nice consistent rhythm. The instrumental is dark and horror-like, with flute-adjacent sounds in the instrumental that enhance the eerie visuals and deep voice that convey this dark song. 

#3: BACKR00MS (feat. Travis Scott)

This is where the list gets more difficult. With dark, grimey, and mysterious visuals, BACKR00MS is an amazing song, with a rock solid verse in front of a slightly disappointing Travis Scott verse. However, it is good enough to get stuck in your head for a week. With an elite instrumental that includes an orchestra at the end of the Travis verse, BACKR00MS is a catchy song that’s easy to like.

#2: EVILJ0RDAN 

EVILJ0RDAN is the most recent and shortest of all the singles, and with an ethereal beat selection, it is a simple song. However, sometimes the simplicity can be the reason that you love the song. The shouting adlibs during the final verse (SWAMP! IZZO!, CARTI!, HE’S COMING!) along with the “I AM THE MUSIC!” adlib at the end just makes this two minute song intoxicatingly simple and fun. 

#1: 2024

2024 is the most popular song out of all the singles released so far. With an upbeat instrumental, Carti leads the first part of the song with a high pitched voice, consistent flow, along with fun, bright visuals. The chorus “Put em on the news or somethin’” is catchy and fun, making it hard not to like the song’s first part. After the line “2024, music”, Carti changes into the deeper register of his voice. Instead of a beat switch, Carti did a voice switch, shocking fans with this transition. With the added verse with the deeper voice at the end, it just makes the song so bouncy and enjoyable. It’s hard not to come back to, with its fun and bright features in the instrumental along with Carti’s two-faced approach to the song.