2023 marks a revolutionary year in the animation industry

Image via Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Image via Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

After a pandemic-induced drought of good film, 2023 has been a gold mine for theater goers, especially when it comes to animated films. From the Spider-Verse sequel to revamped classics like Puss in Boots, this unbelievable stream of heavy hitters is possibly marking a shift in the entire animation industry. 

In 2018, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse took the world by a storm with its heartfelt story and comic book-inspired animation. Characters were drawn with sharp lines, figures were covered in halftone-dot patterns, and text bubbles were seamlessly mixed into action scenes, creating a visual experience like no other film on the market. Audience enthusiasm returned tenfold for the movie’s sequel: during its June release, the opening for Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse raked in three times more money than its predecessor. The hype was practically impossible to escape; social media platforms like TikTok were plastered with cosplays, fanart, and Spider-Verse trends. It quickly rose to the second highest grossing film of the year, trailing right behind The Super Mario Bros. Movie.

Image via Movies With Mark

When the original Spider-Verse released five years ago, it was unlike anything we’d seen before. However, when the sequel was dropped this year, two other major animated films stood beside it with their own unique styles. For a spinoff of the Shrek franchise that hasn’t been active since its 11 year old stand-alone movie, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish made a remarkable comeback in theaters. Many credit this to the studio’s artistic choices, specifically using 2.5D stylized animation instead of the photo realism that’s been plaguing the industry since the creation of Toy Story. With the visuals of a painting or artistic video game, The Last Wish was surprisingly funny, witty, and beautifully crafted, a staple from this year for the whole family to enjoy. 

Image via Animation World Network

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem takes fifth place for this year’s highest grossing animated film. Following suit with Spider-Verse and Puss in Boots, this classic franchise also returned to the screen with an art style full of personality. Despite being overshadowed by Baribe, Oppenheimer, and The Meg, the movie still managed to get certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with a 90% audience score. While less known, other animations such as Netflix’s Nimona has also been revered for its captivating exploration of color and shape language. Spider-Verse no longer feels isolated in terms of design; these 2023 hits now stand beside it, welcoming a new era in storytelling.

Image via The Seattle Times

While movie theaters have been permanently altered by quarantine, animations like these are breathing new life into the entertainment industry. The success of Spider-Verse, The Last Wish, and Mutant Mayhem proves that viewers are not only tolerant to unique art styles, but are even drawn to film specifically because of its creative liberties. These movies are only the start of a new movement, a hopeful sign that animation studios will start challenging the norms of the industry to produce many more enriching, distinct, and creative stories to come.