Album review: Snow Angel (Deluxe) by Reneé Rapp

Image via Reneé Rapp Official Store
Image via Reneé Rapp Official Store

Reneé Rapp’s debut album, “Snow Angel” just released its deluxe tracks, adding three new songs and one remix onto the project. 

Rapp is a singer and actress, best known for her upcoming role as Regina George in the 2024 movie “Mean Girls.” Previously, she played Regina on the “Mean Girls” musical and released an EP titled, “Everything to Everyone” in 2022. She released “Snow Angel” in August 2023, which was met with critical success. 

The original version of the album had 12 tracks, and was an absolutely phenomenal debut for the singer. Rapp blends subtle R&B and pop-rock influences into an innovative pop sound, complementing the messages of the tracks perfectly. Rapp’s voice never disappoints, and while she mostly sticks to simple pop-style notes, the singer’s vocal mastery shows throughout the album. The lyrics are another highlight of the project, showing off Rapp’s sarcastic personality while conveying some serious themes. I’ve been listening to the album for months at this point, and it still hasn’t gotten old, which I credit to the amazing production and interesting lyrics. 

While the original version of “Snow Angel” was fantastic, the deluxe tracks have definitely improved the project. “Messy” speaks on Rapp’s anxiety about relationships, bringing in some of the singer’s humor while conveying how she anticipates the end of her relationships before they even start. “I Do” talks about the reality of loving someone more than they do you. The lyrics, production, and singer’s vocals work together on this song to paint a beautiful emotional picture. “Swim” describes the emotions that come with a toxic relationship, conveying the feeling of drowning in one’s feelings.

Finally “Tummy Hurts (feat. Coco Jones) [Remix]” added a fresh, if unnecessary, take to one of the tracks on the original album. It felt like Rapp was trying to add on a feature to appeal to new fans rather than considering how Jones could help to create a new version that improved on the original. While Jones’ verse was pretty good, the secondary voice felt like it disrupted the story of the song. Because the original was talking about one specific love interest and telling the story of his wrongs, adding Jones into the mix made it feel less authentic and as though they weren’t talking about the same guy throughout the song.

My ranking of the deluxe album is:

1. “Snow Angel”
  2. “Gemini Moon”
  3. “Talk Too Much”
  4. “So What Now”
  5. “Willow”
  6. “Messy”
  7. “Poison Poison”
  8. “I Do”
  9. “Pretty Girls”
  10. “Swim”
  11. “Tummy Hurts”
  12. “I Hate Boston”
  13. “23”
  14. “I Wish”
  15. “The Wedding Song”
  16. “Tummy Hurts (feat.Coco Jones) [Remix]”

Overall, “Snow Angel”, both the original and deluxe versions, are phenomenal projects that leave fans anticipating Rapp’s next release.