15 things to do when you’re bored

Image via Good Housekeeping

Some days it can feel like life is full of never ending tasks and assignments you have to get done, but other days it can feel like you have nothing to do. If you don’t want to get stuck laying around all day, here are fifteen ideas for things to do when you’re bored. All these things you can do by yourself or with a friend. 

Go outside 

Going outside and getting some fresh air can help improve your mood. There are so many things you can do outside, like walking and hiking. You could have a picnic or watch the sunset. You could go fruit picking or spend some time by a cozy fire roasting marshmallows. 

Try something new 

If you have a hobby or something that you have always wanted to try, now’s your time to learn. Some ideas include learning to play a new instrument or sport, learning to crochet or knit, or scrap-booking.

Cook or bake 

If you enjoy cooking, want to try a new recipe, or are just hungry again, now is your time to try out that dish you’ve been eyeing.  

Host a themed dinner 

Themed dinners can be a fun way to end the night with friends. Some ideas include a pajama night, a movie marathon, a charcuterie board night, a game night, or dressing up as characters from a show or movie. 

Make a vision board or bucket list

Making vision boards or bucket lists are a fun method to keep track of your goals and things you want to do in the future in a cute way.

Practice yoga 

Yoga makes you feel so much better after a stressful week. You could also do a yoga challenge with your friends and try to keep up with the activity for an extended period of time. 

Call a friend or family member 

If you’re all alone and want a pick-me-up, call a friend or family member that you haven’t talked to in a while (or someone who you saw yesterday) and just catch up. 

Read a book

Reading is a great way to pass the time. Find a book that you enjoy reading or think is interesting and find a place where you can sit and read. This could be your couch or outside on your porch. You can even visit a cafe for a change of scenery.

Make a craft 

Making crafts can be very calming. Some things you can try are painting, drawing or coloring, making slime, crocheting, tie dyeing, and making bracelets. Your creations can also be given as gifts to friends and family.

Plan a trip 

If you love traveling and planning things, this one’s for you. Plan a trip somewhere you would love to go to including flights, hotels and activities. If you really enjoy the idea of the trip you planned, maybe you can actually do it.

Clean your living space

Now’s your time to do a little or a lot of cleaning. You can clean your room, kitchen, bathroom, car or closet. If you want, turn on some music while you clean. It can be a relaxing process, and a great opportunity to get rid of things you don’t use or wear anymore. 

Do something for yourself 

Take the day to treat yourself to something you enjoy. This could be going to get your nails done, hair done, or even just staying home in your pajamas with your favorite snacks and watching a movie. 

Puzzles and board games 

Board games are always fun with friends or family. Find your favorite board game and sit down and enjoy each other’s company while competing. You can also put together a puzzle. Puzzles can be challenging but rewarding in the end. 

Be a tourist in your own city

There are probably many cool things in your area that you have not had the opportunity to try out. Make a list of all the things you want to check out in your community. Then go on a fun day excursion like going shopping at the mall, bowling, mini golfing, or pottery painting. You can also go to the water park, brunch, or trampoline park. 

Play sports with friends 

Playing a game of pickle ball, volleyball or football with your friends can be a fun way to make the time pass quicker. If you’re feeling competitive, you could arrange tournaments to raise the stakes. 

Hopefully these ideas inspire you to turn a slow day into a new experience and encourage you to make some memories.