Golden Globe Winners 2023-24

Golden Globe. PHOTO: CHRIS HASTON/NBC (Photo via Entertainment Weekly)

With the start of the new year, we have the Golden Globe Winners of 2024! Many awards for television and film. The winners were announced on January 7th, 2024. Here are the winners of the 81st Golden Globe Awards!

Photo via Google Play

Barbie:

This movie is about the stereotypical Barbie traveling to the human world to discover her true self and her true purpose during an existential crisis. Despite the many negative comments about ‘Barbie’, Greta Gerwing and her production crew made a breakthrough in 2023! ‘Barbie’ was nominated for nine awards, but it only ended up winning one. The movie won its first Golden Globe for Cinematic and Box Office achievement. To add on to this victory, the singer, Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas won Best Original Song for ‘What Was I Made For?’ From the ‘Barbie’ movie.

Photo via IMDb

The Holdovers:

This comedy movie is about an instructor in a New England prep school who has to stay on campus during Christmas break to take care of the many students with no families to return to. Within just four months, this movie was nominated for the Golden Globes. ‘The Holdovers’ had 3 nominations and ended up winning two Golden Globes! The awards were Best Performance by a Male Actor and Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role. These awards were won by Paul Giamatti and Da’Vine Joy Randolph.

Photo via Wikipedia

Poor Things:

This spectacular Sci-Fi movie is based on a 1992 novel by Alasdair Gray. It’s about a young woman who was brought back to life, and travels around the continents with a lawyer for self discovery. ‘Poor Things’ was nominated for 7 Golden Globes! It ended up winning two out of the seven it was nominated for. These awards were for Best Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy and Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy, which was won by, now two time Golden Globe winner, Emma Stone!

Photo via IMDb

Oppenheimer:

This historical movie follows the story of Robert Oppenheimer being appointed on a top secret project during World War II. Like the recent movies, this movie had many nominations. ‘Oppenheimer’ was nominated for 8 awards and ended up winning five! These five awards were for Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role, won by Robert Downey Jr, Best Original Score, Best Motion Picture — Drama, Best Director, won by Christopher Nolan, and Best Performance by a Male Actor, won by Cillian Murphy.

Photo via IMDb

The Boy and the Heron:

This animation is about a young boy who goes on a mission to save his step mother in an alternate realm. ‘The Boy and The Heron’ had only been available for a month but it  was still nominated for the Golden Globes. This animated film was nominated for only two awards, and it won an award for Best Motion Picture — Animated!

Photo via IMDb

Killers of the Flower Moon:

This Western movie is based on the best-selling book by David Gran. It focuses on the murders that occurred during the Reign of Terror against the Osage Nation during the 1920s. ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ was nominated for seven Golden Globe Awards, butonly won one award. This award was for Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Motion Picture — Drama. The award was won by Lily Gladstone!

Photo via IMDb

Anatomy of a Fall:

This Thriller movie focuses on a woman who unravels her marriage. ‘Anatomy of a Fall’ had 4 nominations for the Golden Globes. This movie won two awards out of the four they were nominated for, those awards being for Best Motion Picture — Non-English Language and Best Screenplay — Motion Picture won by Justine Triet and Arthur Harari.

Photo via Wikipedia

Beef:

This American comedy-drama Netflix series follows two strangers that got involved in a road rage incident, which causes a lasting conflict between the two. ‘Beef’ was nominated for three Golden Globes. They ended up winning all three! The awards were for Best Television Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Motion Picture made for Television, Best Performance by a Female Actor and Male Actor in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Motion Picture made for Television. Best Male Actor was won by Steven Yeun. Best Female Actor was won by Ali Wong!

Photo via Rotten Tomatoes

The Crown:

This historical Netflix series is inspired by true events. It tells the story of Queen Elizabeth II and the events that shaped her reign. ‘The Crown’ was nominated for plenty of awards and has won many before. They had 4 nominations for this year’s Golden Globes! This series won one award. The award was for Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role, won by Elizabeth Debicki.

Photo via IMDb

The Bear:

This American comedy-drama Hulu series follows the story of an award winning chef who returns to his hometown to run his deceased brother’s sandwich shop. This series has been nominated twice before, but this year they were nominated five times! ‘The Bear’ won three awards this year. Those awards were for Best Television Series — Musical or Comedy, Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Series — Musical or Comedy, won by Ayo Edebiri, Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Series — Musical or Comedy, won by Jeremy Allen White!

Photo via IMDb

Succession:

This American comedy-drama HBO series focuses on the owners of global media and entertainment conglomerate RoyCo. This series has had many nominations before, and it was nominated for 9 categories this year. ‘Succession’ won 4 awards out of the nine nominations. These awards were Best Television Series — Drama, Best performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role on Television, won by Matthew Macfadyen, Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Series — Drama, won by Sarah Snook, Best Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Series — Drama, won by Kienan Culkin.

Photo via IMDb

Ricky Gervais: Armageddon

The last Golden Globe winner is the Comedian, Ricky Gervais. His Netflix Series was nominated and he won his first Golden Globe award for Best Performance in Stand-Up Comedy on Television!

Congratulations to all the winners of this year’s Golden Globes! Who do you believe is going to win the next Golden Globes in 2025?