The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Soundtrack Review
THG Soundtrack sourced by Spotify

With the release of “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” also came along an album filled with all the songs from the movie. This album contains 16 songs from different artists. These songs are meant to add layers and backstory to the characters in the movie, primarily Lucy Gray Baird, played by Rachel Zegler, and Coriolanus Snow, played by Tom Blyth.

Track 1: Can’t Catch Me Now

To begin, the album starts with the song “Can’t Catch Me Now” by Olivia Rodrigo. This song starts off soft and slow, then builds up with ascending strings and beautiful, loud vocals from Rodrigo. This song is meant to describe the perspective of Lucy Gray Baird in “Songbirds and Snakes.” With the mysterious disappearance of Baird, when she ran away from Coriolanus Snow because he betrayed her trust, near the end of the movie, the song and lyrics are perfectly describing the scene. To sum it up, the lyrics are saying that memories of her will still haunt Snow even if he believes she’s gone. 

Track 2: The Hanging Tree

“The Hanging Tree” by Zegler goes deeper into the story of Lucy Gray Baird. This song is a remake of “The Hanging Tree” by Jennifer Lawrence, and as such has a couple of sonic differences. This song progressively gets faster each stanza, and while the original is sung in a softer and more haunting voice, Zegler’s version has stronger vocals. The song is a rebellion anthem about self-sacrifice in the original Hunger Games movie(s). However, the prequel version shows that Lucy Gray originally made the song for one of her exes. The lyrics in the song talk about running away together, away from conflict so they can be free. 

Track 3: Wool

“Wool” by Flatland Cavalry is a slow song. The powerful vocals hold many emotions, capturing the nature of Coriolanus Snow. The dark and mysterious lyrics add on to the meaning of the song, in this case, the struggles Snow has with falling into corrupt thoughts.

Track 4: Nothing You Can Take From Me

“Wool” is a contrast to “Nothing You Can Take From Me,” performed by Zegler and The Covey Band. This song from “Songbirds and Snakes” has a slow yet melodic rhythm to it. In this song, Lucy Gray confidently shows that she has nothing to lose, and Zegler sings in a brave and deep voice. She and the Covey Band argue that though the Capitol may be manipulating, they can’t take anything that they cherish away from them. 

Track 5: The Garden

In “The Garden” by Sierra Ferrel, the lyrics of this song hold more of a feeling of hope, exemplified by lines like “I’m dreaming, yes, dreaming of a garden again.” It’s meant to show the optimistic and hopeful feeling that the tributes and people of the districts appear to have throughout the Games.

Track 6: The Ballad Of Lucy Gray Baird

“The Ballad Of Lucy Gray Baird” by Zegler is sung in a low but loud tone. This song carries strong vocals, just like her other songs in the soundtrack. The lyrics of this song hold strong emotions to Lucy Gray’s life, mostly about her past relationship with ex, Billy Taupe. These lyrics express all the emotions she felt about Billy leaving her. Lucy questions what he would do without her since she was the only one who was there for him through thick and thin. 

Trach 7: Bury Me Beneath The Willow

“Bury Me Beneath The Willow” by Molly Tuttle is a cover song, inspired by The Carter Family. This song has a slow melody and rhythm to it. The lyrics hold deep emotion and talk about a person who’s heartbroken that their partner no longer loves them anymore. The singer talks about being buried underneath the willow tree, hopeful that her lover will still think of her. 

Track 8: The Old There Before/Singing At Snakes

“The Old There Before/Singing At Snakes” by Zegler is sung at a pivotal scene in the movie. Near the end of the games, Lucy Gray and the rest of the tributes are attacked by many snakes. While being attacked, Lucy sings this song, her voice holding fear and passion as she sings. According to Genius, Lucy uses the words “hereafter” as a metaphor to the afterlife and “therebefore” as a metaphor to life. She sings to the fallen tributes, refusing to die. 

Track 9: Burn Me Once

“Burn Me Once” by Bella White is sung in a soft tone, with a hint of sadness. The song is very touching, the lyrics paired with White’s extraordinary vocals amplify the emotion this song holds.

Track 10: District 12 Stomp

“District 12 Stomp” by The Covey Band has no lyrics but it carries such a fun rhythm to it, it’s a song that would make anyone want to dance. The stomps by The Covey Band add onto the extraordinary sounds the instruments they play make, and it’s very energetic.

Track 11: Cabin Song

“Cabin Song” by Billy Strings is similarly energetic. This song might have lyrics about heartbreak but it’s easy to miss this fact because Strings sings in such a loud and passionate voice. The guitar in the song adds energy into the song. This song has lyrics about his lover leaving him in the woods, and he wants to wander around the same woods they left him. 

Track 12: Lucy Gray (part 1)

The next song on the album is ‘Lucy Gray (part 1)’ by Zegler. Though this song has nothing but Zegler’s voice, throughout the entire song, it still has so many emotions in both the lyrics and her fantastic voice. She sings the first part of Lucy Gray’s story, in a quiet voice, almost a whisper.

Track 13: Pure As The Driven Snow

Zegler shows off her stronger vocals in “Pure As The Driven Snow.” The song carries her love for Snow, her trust and how much she cares about him. Her extraordinary vocals add onto the song and the emotions she feels. 

Track 14: Winters Come and Gone

“Winters Come and Gone” by Charles Wesley Godwin is a slow song but also carries deep meaning. The arrival and departure of snow signifies difficult times. Godwin’s voice is strong but carries a gloomy tone. The acoustic guitar adds onto his voice, which makes the lyrics stand out. 

Track 15: Keep On The Sunny Side

“Keep On The Sunny Side” by Josie Hope Hall and The Covey Band is a more lively and bright song. The instruments set the mood of the song. The lyrics speak about seeing the positive side through darkness. Josie and The Covey Band sing in a loud and cheery voice which adds onto the positivity this song holds.

Track 16: Lucy Gray (part 2)

Lastly, this soundtrack perfectly ends with, “Lucy Gray (part 2)” by Zegler. Just like the first part, this reprise is sung with nothing but Zegler’s beautiful voice. The lyrics continue to talk about Lucy Gray’s story, adding onto where she left off, and more about her unexpected disappearance. 

The “Songbirds And Snakes” soundtrack has songs that include many extraordinary artists, and the music adds depth to the movie and the characters. I would definitely recommend listening to this soundtrack, especially if you’ve already watched the movie.