Lee County teachers allowed arms on campus

Jordan Anderson, staff writer

11 schools in Lee County, VA were given the right to allow teachers the ability to carry guns on school property. The plan to arm teachers was decided by a unanimous vote by the Virginia Board of Education. Selected teachers faced a stringent application, training, and screening process all funded by the school district. However, the county does not have enough funds to employ School Resource Officers or metal detectors.

“At least it gives us a chance. If we sat there and did nothing, I couldn’t sleep at night. At least we’re trying to do something,” stated school board member Rob Hines.

On account of Lee County becoming the first to arm teachers in Virginia, many students, teachers, and faculty have voiced their opinions on the controversial subject.

“The only way to fight a gun if somebody comes through these doors with a gun to shoot our students, is with another gun,” said Michael Kidwell, Lee County School Board Chairman.

Ronald Earley, who previously worked at Lee County schools as a teacher and a principal, also supports the board’s decision. “Sooner or later, it could happen. And like some of the board members said tonight, we need to be prepared if it does,” he remarked.

However, some residents in Lee County don’t agree with this settlement of safety. “The more guns that are out there, the more problems we are going to have,” educator Beth Davies stated.

Despite different beliefs, all Lee County residents aim for safety and protection.

About the Writer
Jordan Anderson, Staff Writer

Jordan is a Staff writer and a captain on the Cross Country team. She also competes in Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field on the varsity team as well as in DECA.