South Lakes basketball clinches first State championship in school history

Image via @sl_boysbasketball on Instagram

On March 9, the South Lakes Seahawks boys basketball team traveled to Richmond, Virginia to face off against the Patriot Pioneers where they clinched the program’s first State championship in commanding fashion. 

Before the season, the Seahawks were highly touted as one of the best teams in the State. Consistently ranked at the top of pre-season polls, South Lakes entered the year with high expectations and would be closely monitored at every turn. Despite the noise, the Seahawks delivered wins week in and week out, ending the regular season with an outstanding 18-2 record. Dominating the early post-season, South Lakes went on to win both the District and Regional championship, beating the James Madison Warhawks in both finals matchups. After commanding victories in both tournaments, the Seahawks were primed for a State championship run. Living up to expectations, the boys grabbed wins over the Potomac Panthers 74-69 and Hayfield Hawks 52-41 in the first two rounds of the bracket, securing a spot in the State championship. 

After a week of rest and preparation, the Seahawks made the trip to Richmond where they were set to face off against an excellent Patriot team, a team that they had lost to in December. Under the bright lights of the VCU Siegel Center, the game tipped off in front of thousands of roaring fans, initiating one of the most important games of these young players’ lives. After two early buckets from the Pioneers, the Seahawks rallied, going on a 15-4 run to close out the first quarter with a seven point lead. 

As the second quarter began, the dominant scoring continued. Bolstered by excellent inside finishing from senior guard Brian Kennedy and junior forward Jordan Scott, the Seahawks outscored the Pioneers 18-15 in the second, sending them into the half with a comfortable 33-23 lead. 

After a brief intermission, South Lakes opened the second half with the ball in front of a now electrified stadium. Continuing their thrilling offensive attack, the Seahawks only energized the crowd further with a barrage of threes and flashy inside scoring. Putting an exclamation mark on the quarter, Scott received the ball on the perimeter, executed an excellent pump fake to get by his defender, drove to the baseline, and finished the run with a powerful poster dunk, sending the Seahawk fans into a frenzy and filling the air with a palpable sense of victory. Now up 48-37, the Seahawks treated the final quarter as a victory lap for both the game and their entire season. 

Out-scoring the Pioneers 17-3 in the fourth, South Lakes called a timeout in the closing minutes to sub out their starters. Leaving the floor to a rousing standing ovation, it was evident that the Seahawks were bringing home their first State championship in program history, and the hard work the team had put in all season had finally paid off. 

As the final buzzer sounded, the stadium erupted in celebration as the players stormed the floor to celebrate their victory. As they cut down the net and received their trophy, it was understood by all that this team had achieved something that will stand the test of time. The Seahawks’ championship will live on in not just school history, but the history of Virginia basketball.