Commanders draft quarterback Jayden Daniels with 2nd pick

Image via AtoZ Sports
Image via AtoZ Sports

After finishing with a 4-13 record last season, the Washington Commanders earned the second pick in the 2024 NFL draft. With a need at Quarterback after trading away Sam Howell to the Seattle Seahawks, the Commanders were almost certain to select a QB with their first round pick. Washington was essentially between two options, Drake Maye from North Carolina and Jayden Daniels from LSU. The Commanders went with the latter. 

Jayden Daniels rose up the draft board after a stellar senior season at LSU. In fact, his season was so fantastic that he earned the Heisman Trophy, the award that goes to the best player in College Football that year. Daniels finished with 40 passing touchdowns to go along with 10 rushing TDs. While Daniels did not make the playoffs at LSU, finishing with a 9-3 record, it was still a great season for him. 

Daniels, who has drawn comparisons to Baltimore Ravens MVP Lamar Jackson, is the only player in college football history to pass for 12,000 yards in his career and also have 3,000 yards on the ground. Daniel’s best game came against Florida, a game where he threw for 372 yards and three touchdowns. What made this game his best, however, was his 234 yards rushing to go along with two touchdowns. Against the Gators, Daniels had 606 total yards of offense with five touchdowns. 

Washington, who last took a Quarterback in the 1st round in 2019, is looking to finally find a franchise QB. The Commanders have made moves in free agency that have set up selecting a quarterback by boosting the offensive line and signing veteran players on the defensive side. While Daniels might not start right away, expectations are sky high in Washington. 

One of the veterans that was signed by Washington this offseason was Quarterback Marcus Mariota. Mariota, by no means is expected to be the franchise guy. Instead, he is to act as a “bridge” quarterback allowing Daniels to develop behind the scenes before playing in games. This is a strategy that has been used by many over the years, allowing first year players to take a back seat and learn how to be an NFL Quarterback.

If Daniels impresses, however, head coach Dan Quinn will surely give the young QB an opportunity. On the ground and through the air, Daniels has the potential to be an all-pro quarterback in the NFL. It may take time, but the Commanders believe that they have found a franchise player. There will most likely be growing pains, but Daniels has all of the traits to overcome those and translate them into a great career. 

Now, Washington will continue to fill out the rest of their draft board to surround Daniels with weapons that will hopefully bring the Commanders back to the playoffs for the first time since 2020.