A preview for each NBA playoff team: Eastern conference edition

Image via The Ringer
Image via The Ringer

With the NBA Playoffs underway, each team has aspirations for a season ending in a championship. Some teams have longer, exhausting, and more difficult paths than others. Others have shined in regular season play. Teams have exceeded their preseason expectations, while others have played down to them. With eight teams in the Eastern Conference ready to represent the East in the NBA Finals, there is one team to beat. That team is…

#1: Boston Celtics

Seed: 1

Record: 64-18

First Round Matchup: #8 Miami Heat (46-36)

If there was any year for the Celtics to go the distance, it’s this year. With the offseason acquisitions of former Milwaukee Bucks defensive mastermind in guard Jrue Holiday and the Wizards former stretch big Kristaps Porzingis, this team has more starpower than ever. Star F Jayson Tatum has had some rough patches in his regular season performances, but it hasn’t been a worry in the long run. $310 Million dollar G Jaylen Brown has played as a perfect co-star to the Jayson Tatum show. The bench has more depth than ever. They have proven time and time again they are the juggernaut in the east. This is easily one of if not the best Celtics team since the Larry Bird superteams in the mid to late 1980’s. They have historically failed against the Heat in their past few matchups, however, this isn’t the same Boston team as 2023, 2022, or 2020. They are ready to bring the 18th Larry O’ Brian trophy in franchise history back to Beantown.

#2: New York Knicks

Seed: 2

Record: 50-32

First Round Matchup: #7 Philadelphia 76ers (47-35)

With a 14 game drop off between the first and second seed in the east, the Knicks have a bit of work to do. Their first challenge is a Sixers team that they regularly met on national television during the regular season. These two teams produced the lowest scoring NBA game since 2016 on March 10th, with the final score being 79-73 in favor of the Knicks. New York took three games out of four in the season series versus Philly. However, reigning 2023 MVP Joel Embiid is back which could affect the postseason series. The Knicks have only faced Embiid once during the season, and that game on February 28th resulted in a 128-92 blowout by New York. It seems the Knicks should be able to take care of business in round one, however, a tough matchup versus either Indiana or Milwaukee awaits them in the second round.

#3: Milwaukee Bucks

Seed: 3

Record: 49-33

First Round Matchup: #6 Indiana Pacers (47-35)

The Bucks come limping into the playoffs after having a hot start to the regular season. The Bucks head coaching change from Adrian Griffin to Doc Rivers slowed the team down significantly, and it showed with both their play on the court and the numbers produced under Rivers. Rivers, a known playoff choker, will be without two-time MVP F Giannis Antetokounmpo at the beginning this series, who suffered a calf injury on April 10th. This leaves the majority of the workload on All-Star G Damian Lillard. Lillard has experienced a step down in production compared to his 2022-23 campaign next to Antetokounmpo, but with the keys to the offense in his hand, he will look to take control and torch a weak Indiana defense. The only question about this team without Antetokounmpo is its relatively shakey defensive structure. Brook Lopez isn’t very versatile from outside of the paint, and presumably, Giannis’ replacement Bobby Portis Jr., is an average defender, which is a huge step down from the intimidation factor that Antetokounmpo brings to the table. This Milwaukee team has the upper hand in playoff experience against this young and explosive Pacers squad, which may have them edge this series out. However, they will have a tough matchup against either New York or Philadelphia in round two.

#4: Cleveland Cavaliers

Seed: 4

Record: 48-34

First Round Matchup: #5 Orlando Magic (47-35)

The Cavs come into this series locked and loaded for a deep playoff run. Their first test will be against the young and inexperienced Orlando Magic, who had a great leap in record compared to last season. However, that team is filled with mostly young pieces, rookies, and sophomores. The Cavs are only the four seed solely due to the onslaught of injuries that came their way during the season. Now, with All-Star G Donovan Mitchell healthy, they are the most likely team to beat Boston. 

#5: Orlando Magic

Seed: 5

Record: 47-35

First Round Matchup: #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (48-34)

As mentioned above, the Magic are very inexperienced in playoff settings. Only Markelle Fultz, Jonathan Issac, Joe Ingles, and Gary Harris have played in playoff games prior to this series with the Cavs. While they might not go very far into the postseason, this series will be a huge step in their rebuilding process. Players like Paolo Banchero, Franz Wagner, Wendell Carter Jr., and Jalen Suggs will benefit greatly from this experience, no matter how brief.

#6: Indiana Pacers

Seed: 6

Record: 47-35

First Round Matchup: #3 Milwaukee Bucks (49-33)

Indiana is one of the most electrifying teams in the league coming into the postseason. With Giannis out for the early part of the series, the Bucks main defensive stalwart is missing. This makes this explosive and fast offense a brutal matchup for the Bucks. G Tyrese Haliburton has had a killer year that has included an all star selection. Acquiring F Pascal Siakam from Toronto at the trade deadline for a package that only included Jaylen Nwora and Bruce Brown is a huge win-now move for the Pacers. There could be an upset in Indianapolis. 

#7: Philadelphia 76ers

Seed: 7

Record: 47-35

First Round Matchup: #2 New York Knicks (50-32)

The 76ers come into the postseason after a play-in win versus the Miami Heat. Getting reigning MVP Joel Embiid back will be a huge addition to Tyrese Maxey. The third year guard from Kentucky has had a breakout year with the trade of James Harden, averaging 25 points per game in Embiid’s absence. While this team has a tough battle ahead of them with the streaking Knicks, don’t be surprised if they come into MSG and make it their stomping ground. This series will be the most entertaining. 

#8: Miami Heat

Seed: 8

Record: 46-36

First Round Matchup: #1 Boston Celtics (64-18)

The Heat have been given a 1.2% chance of winning their first round series against Boston. This comes after Jimmy Butler has been ruled out multiple weeks with an MCL injury he sustained in Miami’s play-in matchup against Philadelphia. This offense will feature Bam Adebayo, Tyler Herro, Jamie Jaquez Jr, and… Haywood Highsmith? It’s looking desperately bleak for Heat Nation. However, never count Coach Erik Spoelstra out. I think the Heat have a chance of stealing a game from Boston.