Lil Tecca -TEC album review

Image via Wikipedia
Image via Wikipedia

On September 24, New York-based singer, songwriter, producer, and rapper Lil Tecca released his 3rd studio album TEC, which has been met with mixed reviews from fans and critics alike. Lil Tecca gained popularity with his 2019 hit “Ransom,” which reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, garnered a Cole Bennett music video, and later brought a remix featuring the late Juice WRLD. Shortly after, Tecca released his debut mixtape We Love You Tecca, which peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 200.

This album shows Tecca using flashy synths and smooth transitions between songs, utilizing more mature instrumentals than he has shown in his previous two projects Virgo World and We Love You Tecca 2. The lyrics and flow of songs also seem to have grown up from his other two full length albums, and his newest release seems less childish and more serious and meaningful. 

The transitions on this album are a key element to the production. Some examples include the lead track “Yves” smoothly going into the Kodak Black featured track “HVN ON EARTH,” and my personal favorite being “Gist” sliding into the heavy synthed instrumental of “500 LBS.” Overall, the album showcased Teccas’ growth as an artist, from his abilities to create catchy melodies, have consistent flow in his lyrics, and also showing his ability to sing over these home-grown instrumentals. He does all of this from a rapping standpoint, while also showing strength in his production side. 

As for the songs, they do a good job of boasting Teccas’ maturity as an artist. “HVN ON EARTH” has a catchy melody, consistent flows, and an interesting Kodak Black feature. Ken Carson is featured on the fourth track “Fell In Love,” as he and Tecca alternate lines with each other in the beginning, then Tecca takes over in the middle and ending of the song to finish off a very catchy and likable track. My least favorite song is “Real Discussions” because it just feels like Tecca is venting, and it doesn’t really fit the vibe or the theme of the album. 

The rest of the album shows less variety then I would have liked, and at times can be a bit boring and repetitive. However, the last few tracks are a nice refresh, and they make the album more enjoyable and less of a chore to listen through.

For the rating, I’d give this album a 6.7/10. It’s a huge improvement from his first two studio albums. While being a fun listen, it differentiates itself from similar projects released this year with Teccas’ unique vocals and ability to create simple yet catchy melodies that will get stuck in your head quite easily.

Favorite track(s): “HVN ON EARTH,” “500lbs,” “Fell In Love”

Least favorite track: “Real Discussions”