Summer jobs for highschoolers

Image via Reston Association
Image via Reston Association

SLHS recently had a summer job fair with booths for students to learn more about their job opportunities. In case students missed it, here are the jobs that students are eligible for.

Pool related jobs:

Reston Association is currently offering jobs as a lifeguard, pool operator or swim instructor. Lifeguarding with the Reston Association is a popular option for teens but there are also similar options at High Sierra Pools or the Reston Community Center. Lifeguards must be 15 for both organizations. Lifeguarding for both pays $17 an hour. 

Apply for RA jobs here 

Apply for High Sierra pools Here

Camp related jobs:

Working at a summer camp is a great way to make money while meeting new people.  

Fairfax County Park Authority offers many jobs from lifeguarding at the Water Mine Family Swimmin’ Hole to working as camp counselor or helping to maintain the parks. All jobs offered come with a $500 bonus on sign up. Age requirements depend on the job, but mostly have a required age of 15.

Apply for Fairfax County Park Authority here 

Horizon day camp is a summer camp which gives children affected by cancer the opportunity to enjoy their time off school as well as provide a form of escape from their diagnosis. They have camps in nine different locations with the closest one located in the Metro D.C. area. Applicants have to be 16 or older as well as attend training sessions.

Apply for Horizon Day Camp

Camp Achva is for kids in Kindergarten through 10th grade. This day camp is located primarily in Fairfax and lasts six weeks. Students aged 15 and up can apply to be a junior counselor, while students aged 18 and up can apply to be a senior counselor.

Achva is run by the same organization as Horizon day camp, the Pozez JCC, which is a non-profit that organizes programs around Fairfax.

Achva pays $15-$18 per hour for camp counselors. 

Apply to Camp Achva

Service Related Jobs:

Another option for summer jobs is working as a server or host.

Ashyby Ponds Senior living is offering jobs to highschoolers as dining servers. Compensation is from $13.00/hour – $17.50/hour. Students will be trained on-the-job and shifts don’t go later than 8:30 PM. The job entails greeting customers, describing menus, and serving food. 

Apply to Ashby Ponds by Erickson Senior Living here 

Silver diner is also offering jobs for highschool students. Servers and hosts make $12.27 an hour, while line cooks can make $16.14 an hour.

Apply to Silver Diner here 

Many highschoolers are looking for summer jobs but find it challenging to find one under the age of 18. These jobs are great ways to make some cash while having a fun summer.