South Lakes reintroduces skating!

Image courtesy of Freepik.
Image courtesy of Freepik.
Image sourced from Pinterest.

South Lakes High School brought back a roller skating and blading unit for 9th and 10th grade P.E. this year. The skating took place in the school’s gym where students learn to skate. South Lakes began including the skating unit into the curriculum 8 years ago in partnership with Skatetime. The skating unit is offered every two years. Students pay $10 to participate with parental permission. 

The unit lasts 5 days over the course of 3 weeks. The skating company sets up in the school’s gym, laying out a carpet for students to practice on. They demonstrate how to wear and use the equipment they provide, and give instructions on how to skate. Students practice on the carpet first, and then move on to skating in the gym. To prevent lice or unsanitary conditions, coffee filters are provided and must be worn under the helmet. A disinfectant spray is also available to spray the skates after use.

Freshman, Lola Coney, said,“I think the unit is really fun;  it is different from the usual activities we normally participate in.” When asked about her experience, Coney said, “Well, I fell a few times, but for the most part it was a good unit.” When asked whether or not she preferred skating rather than regular P.E. Coney said, “It’s a good change and more fun than the other units.”

Freshman Luella Adam said, “I like it, it’s fun, I just don’t like how smelly the equipment is.” When asked if she preferred roller blading to other activities in P.E. Adam said, “No, I’d rather participate in regular sports and activities.” 

Although there were mixed opinions on whether people preferred this unit to the traditional curriculum in P.E., both said they had fun. Hopefully at some point, the skating unit will be added into the curriculum yearly.