Get to know Mr. Hirsh – A counselor at SLHS!

Image via. FCPS staff directory
Image via. FCPS staff directory

Mr. Hirsh is a first year counselor here at South Lakes who works with the 9-12th grade ESOL students. Mr. Hirsh was born in Lema, Peru, but he grew up in San Diego, California and was a part of the Scripps Ranch High School class of 04.’ Later in his life, he attended Arizona State University. 

Growing up in California, his favorite food is the California Burrito or the Carne Sata Burrito. He enjoys reading, watching and playing sports and watching TV. His favorite things to watch are “The Office,” “Anchorman” (He likes Will Ferrell), “The Dark Knight” and “Game of Thrones.” His favorite book series is “A Song of Ice and Fire,” which is the book “Game of Thrones” comes from. 

Mr. Hirsh said that the color that best represents him is red because it is his favorite color and a color of passion. He said that a sloth would be his spirit animal, noting that “people have this misconception that sloths are slow. Sloths are not slow, sloths live life at their own pace, and I try to live my life at my own pace.” 

His favorite singer is Celine Dion, but if he could meet anyone in the world, he would choose to meet Abraham Lincon because “our country can sometimes feel very divided, and I think both sides idolize him for keeping the union together.”

Mr. Hirsh said, “Visiting people is important to me” so his favorite place to go is Florida to visit his mom or Peru to visit extended family. If he won the lottery, he would “yell ecstatically and do [his] happy dance.” After he did that, he would buy his mom a house and buy himself one, too!

His favorite part of his job is working for the youth. Even though he hasn’t been at South Lakes for long, he said his favorite part of South Lakes is “the people. Everyone is very welcoming and the staff here has been very supportive.” If he wasn’t a counselor, he would probably be a bartender. “I did it for a few years and enjoyed it.”

Although this is Mr. Hirsh’s first year here at South Lakes, he is excited to continue exploring the community and helping people. The staff, faculty and students are excited to have him here and can’t wait to get to know him better!