Fairfax County NAACP president dead at 56

Image via Fairfax County NAACP
Image via Fairfax County NAACP

In January of this year, the president of the Fairfax chapter of The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) died, aged 56.

Michelle Antonette Leete of Portsmouth, Virginia, born 1967, passed away on January 4th, 2024. The Fairfax County NAACP released a statement on the matter a few days later. There was no information provided on how specifically she died, but her passing was described as “sudden.”

“The esteemed president and unwavering advocate for civil rights departed this world, leaving a void in the hearts of those she served alongside and a legacy of tireless dedication to justice, equality, and community empowerment,” the Fairfax County NAACP said.

Leete had served the Fairfax NAACP on their executive committee since 2013 and held the positions of treasurer and vice president before getting elected as president for the 2023-2024 term. She also served as the Vice President of Training for the Virginia PTA for some years before stepping down due to conservative backlash after a 2021 speech she gave at a rally in support of Transgender students in Fairfax County schools. Leete’s tenure as president of the local NAACP branch included a focus on police reform as the organization provided support to the family of Timothy Johnson, who was fatally shot by Fairfax County police last February at Tysons Corner Center.

Several former leaders also issued statements on her death. 

“Michelle was the embodiment of a selfless leader,” her predecessor, Sean Perryman, said. “She approached community service with quiet confidence and no ego. She was a steady and calming presence. Her maturity and capability radiated in everything she did. With her death, the Northern Virginia community loses someone that dedicated years to its betterment.”

Kofi Annan, who served as president from 2016 to 2019, noted that Leete had been the organization’s longest-serving board member.

“She was a great mentor and friend to me over the years. RIP my friend,” he wrote in a Facebook post.

The NAACP’s full announcement is included below:

“With profound shock and sadness, the Fairfax County NAACP branch announces the sudden passing of their president, Michelle Leete. The esteemed president and unwavering advocate for civil rights departed this world, leaving a void in the hearts of those she served alongside and a legacy of tireless dedication to justice, equality, and community empowerment.

“The Fairfax County NAACP branch family is grieving this significant loss and extends their deepest condolences to President Leete’s family, loved ones, colleagues, and the entire community she served so passionately. An active NAACP Fairfax County branch member and a member of its Executive Committee since 2013, President Leete served in many capacities, including treasurer and vice president, before being elected president for the 2023-2024 term.

“Details regarding memorial arrangements and community gatherings to honor President Leete’s memory will be forthcoming. The Fairfax County NAACP branch is working diligently to ensure that the events reflect her profound impact on the community.

“Further information and updates will be communicated through official channels and posted on Fairfax County NAACP’s social media platforms. The Branch appreciates the outpouring of support during this challenging time and requests privacy for President Leete’s family as they navigate this loss.

“President Michelle Leete may be gone, but her indomitable spirit will forever remain in the hearts of those she inspired and served.”