Lake Anne Polar Dip returns

Image via Scott Ripelcvy

The Lake Anne Polar Dip has returned to Lake Anne Village Plaza. This event has been held annually since 2008 and has been raising money for various Reston organizations ever since. This year, the event was organized by the Kiwanis Club, a community service program. For years, the event was arranged by Camp Sunshine which organized for the last time in 2022 and raised over one million dollars for their retreat for kids with life threatening illnesses.

The sponsors of the Lake Anne Polar Dip include Reston Association, Reston Community Center, Fairfax County Cold Water Dive Team, Kalypso’s Sports Tavern, Quickspin Quick Planning, and photographer Scott Ripley.

The Kiwanis Club’s goal was to raise 25,000 dollars which would be split among four organizations including Kiwanis youth  programs: Friends of Reston, Food for Neighbors, and Camp Sunshine.

Cyrus Crevits, a former South Lakes student, had participated in the Lake Anne Polar Dip during Camp Sunshine. He said he participated in the event to raise money for kids in need.

“I think this is huge for the community that [the Polar Plunges] are coming back. I know that it is a really popular event, and I am kinda surprised that they left in the first place,” Crevits said. “I do believe they can meet their goal. The previous organization raised thousands of thousands in the past, and I don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t be able to do that in the future.”

The Reston community seemed excited for the return of the Lake Anne Polar Dip on Feb 11, and hopeful that they will reach their goal. They raised 23,346 dollars, and were given good weather. Not only will the Lake Anne Polar Dip be raising money and donating across a variety of organizations, they are bringing the Lake Anne community together once again for this joyous occasion.