People’s Choice Awards Recap

Image via People
Image via People

The “People’s Choice Awards” was held on Sunday, February 18th, in Santa Monica, CA. Hosted by Simu Liu, it was a big hit, attended by big stars such as Ice Spice, Tom Hiddleston, Adam Sandler, Billie Eilish, Lenny Kravitz, Lainey Wilson. There were also influencers who attended such as Josh Richards, Bryce Hall, Alix Earleand Markell Washington. Many actors from the latest season of “Grey’s Anatomy” arrived as well such as James Pickens, Kim Raver, Kevin McKidd, Chandra Wilson, and other stars on the show. 

There were many talented artists who won music awards at the show. Olivia Rodrigo won song of the year for her hit song, Vampire” on her album “Guts.” Winning “Female Artist of the Year” was none other than the pop star Taylor Swift and for “Male Artist of the Year” was BTS’ Jungkook. The “Best New Artist of the Year” was Ice Spice and Stray Kids won “Best Musical Group/Duo.” Some other honorable winners from the night were Eilish, Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé, Shakira, Bad Bunny, Jelly Roll, and Lainey Wilson. 

The next topic of the “People’s Choice Awards” was the movies. Not surprisingly, “Barbie,” starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling won the title of not only the “Movie of the Year,” but the “The Comedy Movie of the Year.” Both Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling won the “Female and Male Movie Star of the Year.” Another rising star America Ferrera who played Gloria, won the title of the “Movie Performance of the Year.” In the Action movie section was the new “Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes.” Rachel Zegler, who starred as Lucy Gray, was awarded as the “Action Movie Star of the Year.” Next up is “Oppenheimer,” which was the “Drama Movie of the Year.” Jennifer Lawrence who portrayed the role of Maddie in the new Romance comedy movie “No Hard Feelings” won. Lastly, in the movie section was the “Drama Movie Star of the Year,” which Jenna Ortega won, after her performance in the film “Scream VI.”

TV shows were also a big talking point at the Awards ceremony on Sunday. “Grey’s Anatomy,” which has aired for 19-years, and is currently in the making of a new season, won the “Show of the Year.” The TV show that won the “Comedy Show of the Year” is “Only Murders in the Building.” Selena Gomez who portrayed the role of Mabel Mora won the “Female TV Star of the Year.” The TV show “The Last of Us” won the “Drama Show of the Year,” with a star from the show Pedro Pascal, winning the “Male TV Star of the Year.” The “Reality Show of the Year” was “The Kardashians,” and the “Competition Show of the Year” was “The Voice.” Lastly, the “Binge-Worthy Show of the Year” was “The Summer I Turned Pretty.” There were multiple other awards won for TV shows, but these were the more popular ones. 

Drama erupted during the show, sparking huge controversy on social media.  Eilish was caught whispering to Kylie Minogue, a pop singer, “Why are there so many TikTokers here?” Many TikTokers were infuriated, and influencer Bryce Hall responded to her comment by stating: “Now I don’t think I can renegade to any of your songs anymore. So thanks for taking out all my content.” This feud caused a lot of debate on TikTok while Eilish is waiting for the drama to pass over.

Overall, the “People’s Choice Awards” had many memorable moments throughout the night. It had included big stars, a little drama, and amazing winners. Many well deserved albums, TV shows and movies were recognized. People are excited to see what next year’s show will bring and vote for the future nominees.