Wendy Williams new health diagnoses

Image via Entertainment Weekly

Superstar talk show host Wendy Williams has been hiding from the public for years, and her secret has finally been revealed. She was recently diagnosed with Primary Progressive Aphasia (PPA) as well as Frontotemporal Dementia.

Aphasia is a condition that makes it difficult for patients to communicate and understand language. It comes from damage to the left side of the brain and could stem from previous issues like strokes. Frontotemporal dementia includes a group of disorders that have an effect on personality, language formation, and behavior. The combination of the two can make it very difficult to act appropriately in social situations, often causing patients to detach from their own personalities. 

These mental conditions affect Williams’ ability to communicate and function normally. In a recent documentary about her life called Where is Wendy Williams?, it is clear that Williams appears confused and unable to focus. At 59, Williams had much of her career ahead of her. This has all come to an abrupt end since her diagnoses.

Williams’ team makes sure to mention in the documentary that it was a difficult choice to make her diagnoses public. They did this in order to spread awareness about the condition just as actor Bruce Willis did when he was diagnosed with aphasia in 2022. 

Williams’ talk show, The Wendy Williams Show, premiered in 2008. She was praised for her comedic timing, always covering hot topics about celebrities and being unafraid to give her full opinion ‒ no matter who might find it offensive. Clips from her successful show resurface on the internet year after year, never failing to make people of all ages laugh. 

It is difficult to watch a beloved star suffer from such a tragic illness. However, Williams has a team of caretakers who ensure her safety. She has a strong support system of friends and a strong fanbase who wants to see her safe and taken care of.