Who should be the next Commanders Head Coach?

Image via Sports Illustrated

After an embarrassing 45-10 nationally televised loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving, the Washington Commanders decided to part ways with defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio and defensive backs coach Brent Vieselmeyer. For fans, this move has been a long time coming. Washington sits at the bottom of the league in both passing yards allowed and passing touchdowns allowed. This abysmal defensive performance comes just a year removed from the unit being top five in total passing yards allowed and top 10 in yards per attempt. The defensive fall off has been substantial, but it underlines an overarching problem that has plagued Washington for the past 20 years. 

Dan Snyder’s tenure as owner of the Washington Commanders was a well documented disaster full of controversy and mismanagement. Despite selling the team to American investor Josh Harris last summer, Snyder’s mistakes still linger. On January 1, 2020, Washington hired former Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera after he was fired midway through the season. Five years removed from a Super Bowl appearance with two AP NFL Coach of the Year awards under his belt, Washington believed he was the right man for the job. Aside from his head coaching duties, Rivera was also given significant authority over roster personnel that remains to this day. With complete control over roster and coaching decisions, Rivera is 26-35-1 in Washington with just a single Wild Card appearance. This season, Rivera’s squad is 4-8, sitting at the bottom of the division standings. After failing to adequately address obvious needs on both sides of the ball and disappointing seasons from his first round picks, Rivera is on pace for his worst record as a head coach. It is now widely assumed that he will be fired at the end of the season. If Rivera is part of Harris’s clean house this offseason, who would be the best choice to replace him as head coach? 

Eric Bieniemy: Offensive Coordinator, Washington Commanders

Signing former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy was Washington’s biggest move last offseason and one that had many fans excited. With ten years learning under legendary head coach Andy Reid and four years as the offensive coordinator for one of the best offenses in the league year in and year out, many thought it was time for Bieniemy to spread his wings and run a system entirely on his own. So far, he’s been somewhat successful. Washington currently sits at eighth in the league in total yards while first year starter Sam Howell is second in passing yards. However, Washington has one of the most unbalanced attacks in the league. First in the league in total attempts, Howell has thrown the ball almost 100 more times than the second leading quarterback. This has contributed to his league-leading 58 sacks and has caused Washington to be in the bottom half of the league in points per game. While Bieniemy has created one of the more promising Washginton offenses in recent years, there are some serious problems that need to be addressed before this unit can be considered elite. The inconsistency may turn some off to the idea of Bieniemy being the next head coach in Washington, but allowing him and the young offense to grow together may be the key to leveling up the unit and achieving long-term success. 

Bill Belichick: Head Coach, New England Patriots 

With six Super Bowl titles in nine appearances with the New England Patriots, there is no coach in the league with a resume as stacked as Bill Belichick’s. However, Belichick is 82-98 all-time without Tom Brady and 27-32 since the legendary quarterback’s departure in 2019. With zero postseason success and a string of disappointing seasons in recent years, questions have emerged as to whether or not Belichick can be a top tier coach without his future hall of fame quarterback. Now, with the Patriots sitting at an abysmal 2-10, rumors have circulated that owner Robert Kraft is willing to part ways with his head coach of 23 years. Washington owner Josh Harris has reportedly inquired about a trade for Belichick, as the move could bring some positive attention and stability to the franchise. However, Belichick is one of the oldest head coaches in the league and has struggled to perform with below average rosters meaning he may not be the right fit to oversee a potential rebuild. 

Jim Harbaugh: Head Coach, University of Michigan  

In just three years as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, Jim Harbaugh managed a 49-22-1 record with a Super Bowl appearance. Now, as leader of the Michigan Wolverines, he has won three straight Big 10 championships and is set to make a run at the national championship this season. Despite his team’s success however, the year has been filled with controversy for Harbaugh. After allegations of cheating against his coaching staff, the Big 10 took action and suspended Harbaugh for three games. While the suspension is now over and Michigan went undefeated during his absence, it seems the decision left a bad taste in the coach’s mouth. Now, with the possibility of further action from the NCAA, there is a real possibility that Harbaugh pursues a NFL coaching job after this season. With all options open, Harbuagh could be an intriguing choice for the Washington job. Given the recent history of college coaches joining the NFL, this could be a risky pick for the Commanders. However, Harbaugh has produced immediate success on both levels of football and could provide the stability and creativity this Washington team has lacked over the past four years. 

Bobby Slowik: Offensive Coordinator, Houston Texans 

A product of the Kyle Shannahan system, working with him over 11 years ‒ first in Washington then following him to San Francisco ‒ Bobby Slowik has exploded onto the scene with one of the most surprising offenses this season. In his first year as an offensive coordinator, Slowik has taken rookie quarterback CJ Stroud and crafted a top 10 offense in both yards and points per game. After being at the bottom of the league in almost every offensive stat in 2022, Slowik has come in and turned the Houston unit around, leading them to a 7-5 record and a potential playoff berth. While his success this year is undeniable, It may be too early in his career for Washington to consider him a serious head coaching candidate. However, when looking at fellow Shannahan product Mike McDaniel and what he’s been able to produce as head coach after just a single season at coordinator, Slowik could be an attractive option for a Washington team looking to modernize their game. 

Ben Johnson: Offensive Coordinator, Detroit Lions

Ben Johnson will most likely be the most sought after coach this offseason and for good reason. Johnson has worked wonders with the Detroit Lions’ Jared Goff-led offense, putting together a top 10 unit in yards and points per game in 2022 and bringing them into the top five in 2023. His ability as a play caller and his experience in the league makes him one of the most qualified coaches this offseason. With a new owner and a young offensive core, Johnson would be the ideal candidate to lead this Washington team into a new era of modern football. Under Rivera, the team has struggled with creativity and the proper utilization of talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball. 

Johnson, having coached quarterbacks, wide receivers, and tight ends, has the ability to craft his schemes in a way that maximizes all members of the unit. With Johnson at the helm and the right pieces in place, Washington could become a dangerous contender in the coming years.