Dan Quinn named new Commanders head coach

Image via Blogging The Boys

The Washington Commanders, coming off a 4-13 season, were looking for a new head coach this off-season. After a month of interviews, the Commanders have settled on Dan Quinn, the previous defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys. Quinn has had experience as a head coach, spending six years with the Atlanta Falcons. Quinn ended his time in Atlanta with a 43-42 record and a Super Bowl appearance. After being fired from the Falcons, he has spent the last two seasons in Dallas. 

Coming into the off-season, the Commanders had other candidates that were considered “top tier.” Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson was at the top of that list. It seems he was the favorite to land the Washington head coaching job before he shockingly returned back to Detroit to remain coordinator. Not landing Ben Johnson was a huge bump in the process, as it had previously appeared that Johnson would be the head man. The Commanders were the last team to hire a head coach, so the top options were already picked over. 

In his time with the Falcons, Quinn’s first three seasons he led the Falcons to an above .500 record. However, his last two full seasons the Falcons were 7-9, before getting on to an 0-5 start the next year which resulted in Quinn being fired. Quinn will bring a defensive background to the Commanders, something that is necessary in Washington. 

Quinn, known for his defensive scheme and leadership skills, will bring a necessary leadership presence to the Commanders. The Cowboys had one of the better defenses in the league last year. They ranked 5th in yards allowed per game, 5th in turnovers, and 5th in points per game. The ability to create a top five defense is what made him a head coaching candidate. 

Dan Quinn will still need to fill out the rest of his coaching staff. Coming from a defensive background, the offensive coordinator position is the most important for Quinn and the Commanders to fill. Some questions still remain about the offensive, with quarterback being the biggest priority. As fans and coaches have seen in the past, the relationship between coordinator and quarterback is what has led to success in the past. In order to turn the Commanders into a successful franchise, the quarterback has to be addressed first. Quinn will have big expectations this season, but the Commanders have shown initial confidence in this hire.